We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to stay in Castro

Glasgow
7 posts
Save Topic
Places to stay in Castro

Can anyone give me some advice on where would be the best place to stay in Castro? Have looked on a few websites suggested through Lonely Planet and Time Out but haven't seen anything we really like. Ideally looking for a hotel or room with private bathroom but most of the books lists B&B's with shared bathrooms. We will be in San Francisco the first two weeks in September.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,600 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to stay in Castro

I'm afraid thats about all there is in accommodation in the Castro.

You are better off staying in Union Square where you have a large variety of hotels to choose from and use the excellent transport system (MUNI) to get to the Castro .

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to stay in Castro

I agree with Oskar, especially since you are staying for 2 weeks. The Castro is truly a neighborhood, so there aren't any large hotels. If you're used to more upscale accomodations, you should look into some of the hotels in Union Square or on the Embarcadero (Hotel Vitale is a great hotel on the waterfront). The ride to the Castro on public transit will only take about 10 minutes from Union Square and closer to 15 minutes from the Embarcadero. Another option would be to stay in the Castro for the first week, and then another location in the city for the next week. In my opinion, it really comes down to what type of accomodations you want. If you want something high end, the Castro is really not the place to stay. If you want to immerse yourself in the gay community found in the Castro, go for it. But keep in mind that the city as a whole is very gay friendly, so don't limit yourself to the Castro.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to stay in Castro

I am sorry to have to agree with the others. You will be better off looking in the Union Square area for hotels.

I also agree with the recommendation for the Hotel Vitale at the Embarcadero. Lovely, upscale, new hotel. You can take public transit to the Castro from the hotel quite easily.

If you're on more of a budget, look at various motor inns in the area as well as The Chancellor, The Hotel Des Arts and the Powell.

Glasgow
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to stay in Castro

Thanks for your advice! Had a look at the Hotel Vitale website and it looks amazing! Has anyone got any views on a B&B in Castro called the Parker Guest House? It's number 1 on the B&B list on tripadvisor. Wondered if it was mostly a male orientated B&B?

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to stay in Castro

There are number of small guest houses with private baths you can find on the Web that are in the Castro as well. Ran across them on Craigslist.org and elsewhere. Typically these rent by the week or month, but some list nightly rates as well.

I have no recommendations, other than the standard observations that you are usually dealing with individuals, and not standardized service in the manner that one expects with brand-name hotels. Depends on what you are looking for. Some find this attractive, some find this inadequate, depending on preferences of lodging and travel.

vacationrentals.com/vacation-rentals/San-Fra…

vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/california/san…

Glasgow
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to stay in Castro

Forgot to say that we are two females and wanted to check if the Parker Guest House would be suitable?

London, United...
Level Contributor
440 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to stay in Castro

I am booked in Inn1890 which is about a mile from the Castro for a few days - it has great reviews on Tripadvisor.

Glasgow
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Places to stay in Castro

Hi adam_in_london......when are you going to San Francisco? If you are going before us (first two weeks in Sept) could you let us know how the Inn1890 was? Thanks!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
440 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Places to stay in Castro

I am booked for late September, so I will await your report first!