We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will the luggage be safe

canada
Level Contributor
168 posts
Save Topic
Will the luggage be safe

After leaving Monterey in the morning to head to SF I plan on stopping in Santa Cruz.for awhile will the luggage be alright? I would like to stop there or should I go straight to SF? Thanks

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,507 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will the luggage be safe

Luggage should never be left out in the open in a car/van no matter where it is parked. IF the luggage is out of sight in the trunk then I'd imagine it would be safe. NO one on here can guarantee safety as sometimes things just happen!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,646 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will the luggage be safe

No guarantee anywhere be it your hotel or car. But, as noted, putting luggage in the trunk is important - just keeping things that might say "steal me" out of sight. We recently did a stopover in Santa Cruz and didn't have the slightest concern about security and safety.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
16,222 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will the luggage be safe

Not only the main luggage needs to be out of sight (in the trunk), but so does any hand luggage, shopping bags, etc. Also, don't pull up to a parking lot, then put all the camera bags and so on into the trunk. There could be folks watching and they now know that you've got goodies worth grabbing.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will the luggage be safe

I've heard recently that even a suction cup mark on the windshield is an indication that a GPS device might be stashed in the car.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,882 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will the luggage be safe

The smash-and-grab is pretty common, but thieves will pass up cars that don't look like they have anything worth stealing in them for those that look like a sure thing. So just keep the passenger area clear of stuff and you will be fine. A couple jackets, water bottles, fast food bags on the floor - not a problem, but don't leave any bags, cell phones, expensive sun glasses, etc. laying around. And yes, GPS is a very commonly stolen item and even the suction cup mark on the windshield will mark your car as having one stashed in it. Hardly anyone takes the GPS with them when they park and thieves know that. I don't think CA law allows the GPS to be stuck to your windshield anyway.

Good advice about not pulling into a lot and then stashing all the valuables in the trunk while anyone scoping out the lot sees that you have stuff in your trunk. This should be your common practice pretty much anywhere.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will the luggage be safe

I agree with susan that you should stow everything before you park. If you stow it properly at your hotel do not open the trunk to get anything out or put anything in the trunk when you arrive.

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Will the luggage be safe

Agree. Even in a very safe coastal area I'd keep things out of sight. I've been told that there are people who travel up & down the coasts looking to steal from cars. Once i was parked at a very safe beach in a small area--really safe--but I left a small bag on the floor of the passenger area. There was nothing in the bag, but I had to replace a window!

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Will the luggage be safe

travelingrunner - same with my husband. He was fishing at the American River in Sacramento and he left a backpack with a change of clothes and sweatshirt that he has for work since he is outside. He didn’t think to secure it since he knows there’s nothing in the backpack but a change of clothes.

Someone broke the side window of the car and took the backpack. Now unless you are homeless that backpack had absolutely nothing of value in it. But the window…. I told him to go back on another day and see if there were some homeless dressed in his clothes. Better be a pretty tall guy or he’d be dragging those clothes after him.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,561 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Will the luggage be safe

Also don't leave maps out in the car. It shows you are a tourist.

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Will the luggage be safe

Ha, ha I always have maps in my car--for my local area too!

Suzie, windows can be expensive!