We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

prettiest drive

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
prettiest drive

Would you recommend Highway 1 drive from Los Angeles to San Simeon or San Simeon to San Francisco? Which would be the prettiest drive?

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
San Simeon
San Simeon
San Luis Obispo County, CA
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
1,900 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: prettiest drive

San Simeon to San Francisco is the prettiest. You will be driving along the famous Big Sur - Coastal vistas the whole way, dizzying heights, and a few waterfalls (but you do have to get out and hike to see the waterfalls.)

Los Angeles to San Simeon is nice. You'll be passing thru Santa Barbara and the San Luis Obispo area. The coastal views south of Carpinteria, at Gaviota and at Shell Beach to Avila Beach are very picturesque. The highway 1 section to Lompoc and thru Guadalupe is interesting and nice but Big Sur is much nicer.

Mentioned in this post
San Simeon
San Simeon
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Big Sur
Big Sur
California
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
San Luis Obispo
San Luis Obispo
Carpinteria
Carpinteria
California
Avila Beach
Avila Beach
Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: prettiest drive

San Simeon to San Francisco would include Big Sur, which, hands down is the most impressive stretch of coastal highway in California, IMHO. As far as being the "prettiest," I'm not sure. Depends on your aesthetic. All I can tell you, is as a lifelong Californian, that when I saw this coastline for the first time, I was awestruck. It is, at the risk of using superalatives that are unfit for the task, magnificent.

Big Sur is, however, not a drive for "flat-landers" (as my father used to mutter under his breath, several cars behind, creeping excruciatingly slowly, for quarter-mile after quarter-mile). The impressive part of this coast line are the sheer drop-offs and windy nature of the road, coupled with the absolutely stunning views. Some drivers unaccustomed to this kind of driving have difficulty both managing the constant twists and turns and glimpsing the view. One visitor, in posting his trip report, specifically wrote about how the drive was horrible and unenjoyable.

In this situation, the view (for some, I emphasize) is white-knucle terrifying. It's always better to enjoy such by pulling over on one of the turnouts along the roadside, where you can take pictures, and let the relieved drivers behind you get on with their journey. California state vehicle codes require that drivers pull over to let others pass when the line gets to five cars or more. It's always courteous to pull over when there's far less than that.

Mentioned in this post
San Simeon
San Simeon
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Big Sur
Big Sur
California
California
California
United States
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: prettiest drive

Definitely San Simeon to San Francisco. There's no question about it.

This is Big Sur. Search this site and Google on "Big Sur".

Mentioned in this post
San Simeon
San Simeon
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Big Sur
Big Sur
California
Level Contributor
37,779 posts
959 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: prettiest drive

Big Sur is a beautiful part of the coast. Check out the Inside Big Sur pages, I have posted some photos there, also. :)

Mentioned in this post
Big Sur
Big Sur
California
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: prettiest drive

Thank you so much, you were all very helpful. San Simeon to San Francisco it is!!

Mentioned in this post
San Simeon
San Simeon
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,631 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: prettiest drive

I'd recommend Highway 1 from Santa Monica (just outside LA) to Ventura, and Highway 1 from San Luis Obispo to Half Moon Bay, just south of San Francisco. Currently, Highway 1 north of Half Moon Bay is closed, so you'll have to go on Highway 92 east to 280 or 101 north to get to San Francisco. However, if you go later in the year, Highway 1 north of Half Moon Bay might be reopened by then, so you can go all the way north to San Francisco on Highway 1. Check back later.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Ventura
Ventura
California
San Luis Obispo
San Luis Obispo
Half Moon Bay
Half Moon Bay
California
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
247 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: prettiest drive

"a few waterfalls (but you do have to get out and hike to see the waterfalls.)"

Where would these falls be located, and how long is the hike?

Thanks!

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
879 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: prettiest drive

The only one that I know is at Julia Pffeifer burns. but I am not the expert. This one you do get out, and take an easy 5 minute walk to see.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: prettiest drive

The waterfall at Julia Pfeiffer Burns State park is McWay Falls, there is another waterfall to the south at Salmon Creek, which is on the east (inland) side of the highway, it's tucked back in a canyon so you have to get out and walk a short distance to see it. There's also one at Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park, north of Julia Pfeiffer Burns, you have to do a short hike to see this one. These are the ones I've seen, the site below lists a couple of others too:

http://jrabold.net/bigsur/activ-wfal.htm

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
247 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: prettiest drive

I'll probably just do the McWay falls. Too bad you can't get down to the beach there. But the view looks awesome, so I think I'll go for it anyway....

Thanks!