We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francisco Hotel with teenagers

New Jersey
Level Contributor
135 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
San Francisco Hotel with teenagers

Hi - looking for a nice, but not luxurious, hotel or condo for 2 adults and 2 teenagers. I hope to find either a suite or large room that allows for a rollaway and queen beds. Would like to keep price under $200 if possible since we're planning on a week. Also, location needs to be in S.F.O, not by airport. Any suggestions? This is for the end of August.

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Francisco Hotel with teenagers

... Then your hotel location needs to be in SF, not SFO, I take it?

You might even be able to find a vacation rental for a weeklong stay. Others will likely have some very specific recommendations for parties of your size with teens, but in the meantime you can see similar recommendations by searching for keywords you've used. The search function is in the field just above your posting and under the green bar is easily used by typing in a word or two and then clicking "Go."

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
879 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Francisco Hotel with teenagers

I thought the Sheraton at Fishermans Wharf was a good deal. Just make sure they are not under consruction near the room they give you, make sure non smoking is garanteed (not on Priceline), and if you are not satisfied

with the room they first give you, march down and ask for another. It was on the luxurious side, $94 on priceline.

Mentioned in this post
Fisherman's Wharf
Fisherman's Wharf
15,529 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,441 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: San Francisco Hotel with teenagers

Crowne Plaza Union Square has "family" rooms with two queens/doubles and a sofa bed. Don't know what the rate is for your dates, but it would accommodate everyone, nice but not luxurious and in a good location.

Mentioned in this post
Union Square
Union Square
1,842 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
New Jersey
Level Contributor
135 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Francisco Hotel with teenagers

I did mean downtown San Francisco. Has anyone stayed at the Argonaut Hotel and would you recommend it? I am also waiting for some inquiries into private rentals through vrbo.com.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
New Jersey
Level Contributor
135 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Francisco Hotel with teenagers

I did mean downtown San Francisco. Has anyone stayed at the Argonaut Hotel and would you recommend it? I am also waiting for some inquiries into private rentals through vrbo.com.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: San Francisco Hotel with teenagers

I would highly recommend the Argonaut for families --especially those with children/younger teens. Very family oriented/family friendly. It is, in my opinion, the best and nicest hotel at Fisherman's Wharf and one I recommend reguarly on this forum, as well as to family who may be in town with children.

They do offer suites and even the regular rooms are a fairly decent size. The location is very good, just half a block from the cable car turn around and about 2 blocks from Ghirardelli Square. There is a little Marina Park across from the hotel where the kids can check out the water if they're interested.

Check out the reviews on this site --only consideration, you really have to like a Nautical theme. : )

Mentioned in this post
Fisherman's Wharf
Fisherman's Wharf
15,529 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Ghirardelli Square
Ghirardelli Square
3,041 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
New Jersey
Level Contributor
135 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Francisco Hotel with teenagers

I looked at the Argonaut, but saw they don't allow rollaways in their queen/queen rooms. Just reading some old posts, found the Castle Inn, which has a king suite available. It sounds very nice with 2 bedrooms and sofa bed plus refrig., microwave, etc. Any thoughts on this?

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
382 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Francisco Hotel with teenagers

The Castle Inn is a good choice, I have stayed at their sister property Nob Hill Motor Inn. Both are excellant. It was a toss up as which one to stay at. I do know that the Nob Hill Motor Inn has a large 2 bedroom family suite. These properties are in a very safe area, 3 blocks from cable cars, half a block from busses, they also have free parking, and continental breakfast. Both properties are located between Van Ness and Polk Streets. Lots of busses use Van Ness and Polk has lots of great restaurants. Both properties are very very clean!

They are located about a 12 - 15 minute walk to the water. We enjoyed walking there, if we were tired coming back we would hop on a bus, or even a cab. No problems at all. It is also very quiet, in this area. On the busier streets and closer to the wharf you may experience noise problems. I would stay at either one again, if you have a car (which you don't need in San Francisco) the parking is better at Nob Hill Motor Inn. Buy a Muni Pass you can ride the cable cars, buses and trolley all you want. Parking is very expensive in San Francisco and you may have to park quite aways from where you want to be. Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
New Jersey
Level Contributor
135 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: San Francisco Hotel with teenagers

Thanks for your input. We will probably use a car only for some day trips to Muir Woods, maybe drive down to Carmel. What do you recommend? Do you know if there is a rental agency nearby the castle inn?

Mentioned in this post
Carmel
Carmel
Monterey County, CA
Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
382 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: San Francisco Hotel with teenagers

I forgot, if you book soon enough at the Nob Hill Motor Inn you may be able to use the entertainment book coupons for a cheaper rate yet. (Not sure if they are valid for the family suite). We will be staying there this summer again with our family.