We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belden Place - Parking?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Indy
Level Contributor
6 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Belden Place - Parking?

A friend who is also visiting the city has made reservations for us at Cafe Tirimasu tonight. I plan on driving from our hotel at FW, but am concerned about parking ease. Is there any parking allowed in the alley? Street parking nearby? Or just garages? Is the situation dire enough that we should just take a cab? Or is public transportation a better option?

This is only the second time I have been to your fair city, and I am loving it. Rented a road bike and rode around yesterday (while my wife worked). Today she will join me for sightseeing, before the rain returns.

Thanks!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,099 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Belden Place - Parking?

Why don't you just take MUNI from your hotel ? 30 stockton will get you close by or even the F wharves Street car will get you to Market street and it is a short walk. Also if you have the time on the way back, you can catch the cable car back to take you close to your hotel or you could do it both ways if you have a MUNI pass.

If you want to drive -- you could park in one of the Chinatown garages -- see map below

http://goo.gl/maps/M3vy9

Edited: 04 December 2012, 16:11
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Belden Place - Parking?

There is NO parking in the alley -- it's all outdoor seating for the restaurants which line the alley. That's is really the heart of downtown and I would NEVER drive down there and think I'd find street parking.

I agree with belo, the easiest is to take the bus. If you take the 30-Stockton from Columbus and Bay (across from the Marriott) get off just after the Stockton tunnel. Walk down Sutter 2 blocks to Kearny, turn left 1 block to Bush and down Bush 1/4 block to Belden. Reverse to return.

Closest garage is Sutter/Stockton and easiest way to get there is take Van Ness to Bush. There is an entrance to the garage just after Stockton St (you're on top of the tunnel). However, I really wouldn't recommend driving.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,268 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Belden Place - Parking?

First, welcome to the TA forums!

I agree with the previous posts, driving (really parking) will be a headache and suggest MUNI as an alternative. I also question whether driving will be significantly quicker than MUNI.

What I will add are some other more interesting/fun options than the 30 Stockton. You could take either a Cable Car or the F Market (antique) Streetcars. The cable car will be $6/person (each way, "free" with a MUNI Passport) and will have the crowd aspect to deal with (i.e. lines). The F Market shouldn't be too crowded and will take you along the Embarcadero (bay front) and then down Market Street. (F Market fares are $2 with a transfer that you might be able to use on your return.)

Both of these will require a little bit of a walk at the Union Square end, but we're talking a few blocks and really no elevation change by SF standards. Similarly, you might have some walking at the FW end depending on the exact location of your hotel.

That's my $.02,

hlo

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Belden Place - Parking?

My rule of thumb with these things is usually to cab it there and do the alternative transit on the way back. Unless you do the research to time your bus right - which is doable. The F-Market would take forever to get from FW to Union Square. Although, if you have the time, it's fine.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
376 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Belden Place - Parking?

I do agree with the alternative transportation suggestions, but I do not think it would be crazy hard to street park there tonight. Tuesday night, shouldn't be crowded. Meters end at 6, and if you stick to down the hill, so closer to the Fin District (east), you should be able to get a spot on the street. It gets pretty empty once the businesses close. Say Montgomery/Samsome etc.

Of course it might backfire and it'll take some time to park, but if you really want to drive, it should be doable. There's a ton worse places to drive to in the city! If you don't like the idea of driving looking for parking, that's another reason not to even risk it.

Indy
Level Contributor
6 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Belden Place - Parking?

Well, I am game for the Muni or streetcars. However, I may be trumped on this one by the boss. Sounds like if we get there early in the evening (reservations are at 7) that parking may not be a major hassle.

I will try to report back tomorrow on how it went.

As an aside, we ate last evening at Albona Ristorante. I thought the food and service were very good. It will be interesting to compare the two.

Thanks for the welcome and all the replies!

John

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,268 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Belden Place - Parking?

I confess that, while I mentioned the Cable Car not being the fastest method, I didn't address the additional time factor on the F Market in my post.

I'll also agree that in the evening/night moving toward the Financial District street parking become easier (particularly on a weeknight). That said, not sure things will be cleared out enough that parking will be anything close to easy that early in the evening. I know when I worked at Embarcadero Center there were plenty of times when I didn't leave work and/or hung around for drinks, dinner or whatever until much later than 5:00 (on the other hand, I don't think I ever used street parking the entire time I worked there).

Regarding driving & street parking. To me a "worst" case would be you drive there in 5-10 minutes, spend 5-10 minutes looking for a parking space which is a 5-10 minute walk away . . . .

Not sure what the MUNI times would be, but I'm guessing the 30 Stockton and F Market would be in the 15-30 minute range (with walking & waiting?). Cable Car would depend on how fast you can board, but once on board, I'd guess the time would be fairly similar.

Anyway, there's another $.02,

hlo

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Belden Place - Parking?

If you really want to drive, street parking often that area clears out around at night and is actually free after 6pm-- though definitely check all the signs before you leave your car. Or try the St. Mary's or Sutter/Stockton garages.

Edited: 04 December 2012, 21:55
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,099 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Belden Place - Parking?

The Boss is always right. Hail to the Boss !!! :-) I would go early and find parking and just check out Union Square, the tree, the skating rink and the atmosphere and then walk over for dinner.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Belden Place - Parking?

Let the 'Boss' drive...and find the parking while you get the table.