We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Watching Football

Derby, England...
Level Contributor
5 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Watching Football

My family and I are heading into San Francisco for a week from England and I'd love to see an American Football game live as I've only ever watched NFL and CFB on TV. Unfortunately the 49'ers aren't in town during our stay but the (please forgive me) Raiders are!

Given we have zero experience of the local public transport, can anyone recommend the journey from the Union Square area to and from the game? It looks easy enough on the BART website but hey don't all thinks look simple on the internet!

Thanks

Ade

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Watching Football

It's just as easy as the BART website makes it look. You can catch BART at Powell Street to Coliseum and it's a short walk directly to the stadium. Lots of others will be going as well (although the Raiders are well and truly stinking this season).

When you purchase your ticket at Powell Street on the way, put round trip money on the farecard and you won't have to stop at the fare machine on the return trip.

Edited: 07 December 2012, 16:04
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,412 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Watching Football

Yup. Agree. You can go to www.bart.gov and calculate the fare you need. If you are doing 2 round trips on BART to and from SFO and to and from Oakland, it will be 16.50 + 8 and you may want to load up your ticket when you purchase it at SFO

Derby, England...
Level Contributor
5 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Watching Football

Thank you both for the info.

Now to persuade my wife and daughter.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,412 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Watching Football

Humm. Shopping spree ? Spa treatment ? Movie ? In our house only the boys go for games and the DW has her free time.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,105 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Watching Football

Frankly, they would probably prefer to spend the 6 hrs shopping near Union square! The Raiders pride themselves on manly things like drinking beer and pretending to be very rough.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Watching Football

Six hours would be one heck of a long game. More like 3 hours for the game and an hour (total) in transit.

7. Re: Watching Football

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 December 2012, 18:35
California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Watching Football

What do David Beckham & Landon Donovan have to do with the Raiders?

Edited: 07 December 2012, 18:01
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Watching Football

The OP is asking about AMERICAN foortball, NOT soccer. Sheesh.

Derby, England...
Level Contributor
5 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Watching Football

I see enough FOOTBALL over here in England.

This trip is all about AMERICA!

Trip to tour AT&T Park planned.

American steaks - tick

American burgers - tick

Looks like I'm being dragged to The Mall :(