We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels really this expensive for 4/2013?

Dallas
Level Contributor
208 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels really this expensive for 4/2013?

I'm looking at taking a trip for a week to SFO and getting there on 4/27. Are hotels really this expensive?

I'm looking up mid-tier hotels like Donatello, Gallery Park, Triton, Palomar, etc. and it ranges from 1600-2100 for the week.

Is it because I'm looking to book too early or is something else going on?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels really this expensive for 4/2013?

There are a couple of conventions over that period which will take about 10,000 rooms. That's about a third of what is available in San Francisco, so I can see those putting upwards pressure on hotel rooms -- especially those around downtown and Union Square.

sanfrancisco.travel/media/…

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels really this expensive for 4/2013?

How expensive? You can put in other dates to compare rates.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,850 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels really this expensive for 4/2013?

You are looking at some of the nice well recommended hotels such as the Donatello and boutique ones such as the Palomar. I would suggest booking a refundable rate and continuing to look later on. Www.hotelres.com is one that TA regular Puter suggests. Also check www.quikbook.com among other reservation sites. By the way SFO is just the airport and SF is the city

Edited: 07 December 2012, 19:07
California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels really this expensive for 4/2013?

Room 77, a reservation site, is selling rooms at the Donotello for $175 for your dates if you are a AAA member. With taxes & fees a 7 night stay is $1417.

If no AAA then the total price is $1582 at a link to EasytoBook

USA Today did a story on Room 77 last year:

…usatoday.com/digitaltraveler/2011-03-07-roo…

Dallas
Level Contributor
208 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels really this expensive for 4/2013?

Wow, thanks for all of the quick responses! I didn't get notified via email so sorry for the delay.

RamblinSal - thanks. That makes sense. Too bad I need to travel around that time.

Travelingrunn - from 228$/night to 300$/night

belomiser - I need to stop referring to city names by the airport codes. I'll check out your links right now. I agree about booking the refundable right now, then use biddingfortravel.com as long as I can stay out of the tenderloin. I used to stay at the Hilton downtown for work and definitely don't want to stay on that end of Union Square.

suzie-travels - thank you! I'm not a AAA member but if this is a refundable rate that would be great. I'll also check that out. It may even be worth becoming AAA for this year just to get that rate.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
62,510 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels really this expensive for 4/2013?

HawaiiLover81 ~ the TA messaging about 'you have a reply' hasn't been working well lately.

I think it's always better to keep an eye on any thread that you start so you can participate in the thread. Threads on most of the California forums move quickly, so check at least twice a day.

Have a great time in San Francisco!

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels really this expensive for 4/2013?

The easytobook site says free cancellation but read carefully!!!

Expedia is very similar to easytobook's price as well.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,514 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels really this expensive for 4/2013?

The Chancellor Hotel comes in at the lower end of your scale if it is a full week you are staying $1541.

Dallas
Level Contributor
208 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels really this expensive for 4/2013?

I'm liking the Donatello for 175$. Is a little above my price range but it won't hurt to make the reservation and keep looking! Thanks for the great tip.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,770 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotels really this expensive for 4/2013?

It is worth noting that upwards pressure due to major conventions, events, etc. tends to be concentrated on the nicer hotels in Union Square, Embarcadero, around the Convention Center/SOMA and Fisherman's Wharf areas. The lower end ones tend to go up too, but don't reach the peaks that the nicer places do. Thus, you might be able to meet your desired budget, but have to settle for a hotel with fewer "stars" and amenities.

That's not to say those outside of these areas don't get more expensive too, but they tend not to spike as high. You might look at hotels in the Lombard Hotel Row, Japantown, or others scattered around the city (well, other than the Civic Center/Tenderloin).

While the ones outside of the downtown area aren't as centrally located some aren't too bad from a transit standpoint. Similarly, you won't find as many 4*s and/or as many amenities, but there are plenty of perfectly nice hotels out there And, let's not forget, they're going to have more reasonable rates and can save you hundreds of dollars.

If you think you want to consider either the budget downtown hotels and/or those outside of downtown, let us know and we can come up with some specific suggestions and/or point out some of the pros/cons with the various neighborhoods/hotels you're considering.

That's my $.02,

hlo