We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vegetarian food

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
vegetarian food

I wanted to know where could we have vegetarian food around union square and which are the best restaurants where we should not miss please suggest as this is our honeymoon i want to make it special.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,490 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vegetarian food

San Francisco is a good place for vegetarian food since many places have vegetarian dishes, even if they aren't completely vegetarian restaurants. It is especially true of Asian foods, where you can substitute tofu for meat in many dishes, but even more American restaurants often have some options. Loving Hut in the food Court at the bottom of the Westfield Mall is a completely vegan option near union square, but I would generally look at menus most places that you are interested in eating to see what vegetarian options they have.

For a special dinner you may want to look at Greens at Fort Mason. It is all vegetarian and is located on the bay with spectacular views (if the weather is clear).

Canada
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vegetarian food

Happycow.net has extensive listings of vegan, vegetarian, and veg friendly restaurants in San Francisco (as well as most every other place). It's well worth checking out.

A local site is VegSF.com which has tons of great information.

I agree that Greens at Fort Mason would provide a terrific experience. Consider also Millenium in Union Square, which is a gourmet vegan restaurant. It's one of the finer vegan restaurants in North America and is ideal for a special meal.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: vegetarian food

In the Union Square area Millennium is a very highly rated vegetarian spot: millenniumrestaurant.com/restaurant/index.ht…

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,395 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: vegetarian food

It's worth checking out The Plant Cafe at any of their locations, mainly for the great thought put into the quality of the food and menu options for vegetarians are ideal: http://www.theplantcafe.com

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,432 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: vegetarian food

As was mentioned before most of the restaurants will give you many veg dishes Any Italian restaurant would be a great place to visit. Fancy restaurants such as Fleur de Lys and Coi offer veg tasting menus

Depends on how strict you are you may have to ask the server to make sure no meat or seafood or chicken stock is used in soups and beans and in SF quite a few places are used to those requests

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,851 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: vegetarian food

As noted above, San Francisco (and the Bay Area in general) is a great place to be vegetarian. In fact, I rarely seek out vegetarian restaurants because most regular restaurants offer vegetarian dishes.

If you are interested in good Mexican food in a casual-but-upscale environment, I recommend Gracias Madre in the Mission District: http://gracias-madre.com

sf
Level Contributor
3,250 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: vegetarian food

Also Ananda Fuara on Market/Larkin.

www.anandafuara.com

sc
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: vegetarian food

The Loving Hut at food court in Westfield Mall is fab! Not for fine dinning, but great for lunch or a quick dinner.

Also good for a quick meal are the veggie burgers at Super Duper.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,718 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: vegetarian food

Most Indian restaurants in SF seem to have vegetarian options.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
14,016 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: vegetarian food

There is a very good, upscale Indian restaurant near Union Square called Amber India, which is very popular for their butter chicken. Reservations are a must at this and Millenium.