We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Union Square hotel advice

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Trondheim, Norway
Level Contributor
193 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Union Square hotel advice

I am doing some research for a hotel in San Francisco for 4 nights in May (part of a 3-week California trip). Narrowing it down to the Union Square area, maximum $200 for a doubleroom per night and minimum 4/5 on reviews on hotels.com I have a list of 4:

- Chancellor ($772 for 4 nights)

- The Mosser ($635)

- Serrano ($768)

- Villa Florence ($785)

Any experience with any of these?

Which is better/worse compared to the others?

We will be 5 adults, me, my parents and a friend couple of theirs. We will be travelling by rental car, so parking options nearby would be nice. Not expecting anything on-site or free of course, but as we are 5 persons to split the cost $40-50 a day is not really a big issue for us.

Trondheim, Norway
Level Contributor
193 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Union Square hotel advice

Another one that might be an option: Mark Twain

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,126 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Union Square hotel advice

You are 5 people got that. How many to a room and how many rooms are you looking at per night ? The Chancellor is one of the most recommended hotels here on TA but the rooms are boutique style and charming but more for 2 people. per room. The Serrano is more modern in style.

Have you read the reviews here on TA ?

I see you have a rental car but one is not needed in SF for the most part so perhaps you could get rid of it in SF for the 4 nights and rent one when you leave. Driving and parking in SF is not the recommended way to see the city

Trondheim, Norway
Level Contributor
193 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Union Square hotel advice

I am mainly looking for 1 room for 3 (me and my parents) and 1 room for 2. Although if rooms for 3 are very limited we could consider 3 rooms (2 double and 1 single).

I did a search in the forum and have read some of the reviews.

We are planning to do some driving trips in the area while in SF, for example Twin Peaks, across Golden Gate, Oakland/Berkeley, Silicon Valley, Napa/Sonoma Valley. I stayed at Best Western Plus Tuscan Inn at Fisherman´s Wharf on a trip a couple of years ago and it was quite nice to have a car available, although it was quite expensive to park it of course.

Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Union Square hotel advice

Suggest you take a look at the Donatello.

Very large room recently remodeled.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Union Square hotel advice

One room for 3 people disqualifies the Chancellor. It has a limit of 2 people per room (the rooms are not large).

Agree with midon (quite a cute new avatar!) to check out the Donatello although it usually goes for around $175+ per night. The bed configuration there is a kind bed + sofa bed. But the rooms are large and have a mini kitchen.

I'm not a fan of the location of the Mark Twain and -- while it was a long time ago -- I recall the furniture to be rather spartan.

Do be aware that hotel tax is ~15% and generally not included in quoted rates.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Union Square hotel advice

The Donatello is one we stay at several times a year. The rooms are 450 square feet and the configuration is a king size bed and a sleeper sofa, so you could get three of your party in one of the rooms.

We have two reservations in January, including parking, for under $200.

May is more difficult, but I was able to get two dates in May at the Chancellor on a parking package, also for under $200. This is one of our favorite hotels.

I would not wait, however, as rooms fill up quickly.

I do not care for the location of the Mark Twain, or the Mosser (which is not at Union Square, but south of Market Street. It is a conversion from an older hotel. Some of the rooms have shared baths.), the Villa Florence is on a very busy section of Powell Street. The Serrano is OK. I have not stayed there since it was rehabbed, years ago. It is across from the large Hilton on O'Farrell and Jones. People seem to like it.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,526 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Union Square hotel advice

I actually like the location of the Mosser. It's on the same street as the Palomar - across from the Marriott. Great restuarant, Annabelle's Bar & Bistro nearby - and half a block from MUNI subway, Historic F-line and a very short flat walk into Union Square proper.

Yerba Buena Park and the Metreon are only a block in the other direction.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,126 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Union Square hotel advice

Never been inside the rooms of the Mosser but from what I can see on TA reviews, the rooms are small (reviews say Tiny) so I don't think they would work for 3 people and they seem to have many with shared baths. Perhaps others have private baths as well. I think of the Mosser more in line with the des Arts and Baldwin as a budget hotel and not similar to the Chancellor or the Serrano nor the Villa Florence.

I do like Midon's suggestion of the Donatello as well. Another option for the OP is to look for a suites hotel, the Marines Memorial close to Union Square or the Suites at Fisherman's wharf or Del Sol or Cow Hollow suites in the Lombard Street Area.

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,833 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Union Square hotel advice

Hi

We stayed at The Chancellor last year on our trip to SF sand July recommend it .....for 2 people to a room . We are going back next April but my 17year Kd daughters coming so we are booking The Donatella as he room can sleep 3

The chancellor location is superb with cable line out front and never ending shopping and quality dining options outside the door

Staff where friends and helpful and we loved our room whilst it was small , probably the smallest room we had encounter . If we where travelling on our own we would definitely stay there again

About 4 years ago we stayed at Hoiday Inn Express Suites Fishermans Wharf . The suites where large and I couldn't fault the accommodation , I do however much prefer the union square location but if FW area is fine with you that could be possible solution ? At the time we travelled with 2 adults and 2 teens and the room had 2 queens and was plenty large enough

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,251 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Union Square hotel advice

You could also look at the Columbus Motor Inn which is between FW and North Beach on Columbus Ave. The rooms are large and the parking is free there.