We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RV In San Francisco

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
West Covina...
3 posts
Save Topic
RV In San Francisco

We need some guidance!

We are traveling to San Francisco via RV, we are staying in Burlingame, CA which is about 18 miles away.

There are 8 of us so taking public transportation can get costly I can imagine..

How close to the city can we drive our RV before we have to park it and where? Where should we park our RV prior to entering San Francisco? Our first stop is Mission Dolores.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RV In San Francisco

How large is this RV?

I was going to suggest parking at BART but they have an oversize vehicle restriction in their lots. From the BART site:

"Vehicles or combinations of vehicles that exceed 6.5 feet in width, or 19 feet in length or 3 tons in weight may not be driven through, left standing or parked in any BART parking facility. Vehicles found in violation of the size restrictions may be cited or towed."

If you are under that then I suggest a BART lot. If you wish to arrive before 10AM then you should arrange for a daily reserved spot. Otherwise, daily parking is available beginning at 10AM. Further info: http://bart.gov/guide/parking/index.aspx

Oversize restrictions are also in force at CalTrain lots.

The absolutely last thing I would recommend is attempting to drive into town in an RV!! Especially the area around Mission Dolores -- that is a very congested neighborhood!

If your RV won't fit in these lots then I suggest getting a cab to either Cal Train or the Millbrae BART station.

West Covina...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: RV In San Francisco

RV is 24 ft, its larger than I thought.

I was told there is a BART station in Burlingame, we can take that into Town right?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,526 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RV In San Francisco

There is no BART station in Burlingame, there is a CalTrain station there. You could take this into the city to around the Ball Park area and then transfer to MUNI (separate cost). CalTrain is less convenient than BART, in my opinion, due to the schedule - and BART takes you further into town.

There is a BART station in Millbrae, just north of Burlingame. It's actually adjacent to a CalTrain station. It doesn't look like there is any beyond standard parking on site.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,412 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RV In San Francisco

On weekday mornings (the earlier the better) you should be able to find parking for your RV in the west end of Golden Gate Park (west of 19th Ave). Form there you could walk to the north or south side of the park and take a MUNI bus or streetcar to wherever you wanted to go

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,370 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RV In San Francisco

I don't know if there are any street parking restrictions for a vehicle of that length in general in San Francisco. If not, there is usually room on the streets surrounding Sunset Blvd near Taraval and a block or two south (36th and 37th Aves). This area is not neighborhood permit parking unlike most of San Francisco. There are also street cleaning days twice a month, so read all signs in the block where you park so as not to be towed.

The hesitation I would have here (and in the park) is that your vehicle might get broken into. Though neither area is especially unsafe, break ins happen in pretty much all neighborhoods on occasion. They can also happen in the Bart station lots, though in theory there is some security patrolling the lots on occasion.

From this area you could take the L-Taraval muni streetcar to downtown (about a 35 minute ride). Bart will be faster for you, but you might save a little money from here since you can use your muni passports or pay $2 a ride instead of $4.30.

It (or parking in the west end of the park) will take longer to drive to than Millbrae and will take as long or longer to ride the streetcar to downtown than Bart from Millbrae takes to downtown.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,126 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RV In San Francisco

Public transport for 8 people within SF is going to cost money. It all depends on where you want to go and what you want to do. Each ride is $2 for adults or you can get a day pass for $14 and do unlimited rides on buses, streetcars and cable cars within SF.

Parking around GG park and taking a bus will work but you won't be able to purchase the passport on the bus in that area.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,455 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: RV In San Francisco

I know the rules say no RV parking in BART stations, but the Colma BART station always seems to have plenty of RVs parked in its outer lot.

sf
Level Contributor
3,149 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: RV In San Francisco

I've seen the same thing as Simba at Colma, I guess you'd have to but a few parking spots for the RV, but at $2/day each- not much money.

West Covina...
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: RV In San Francisco

OK, so the RV is staying at the Hotel in Burlingame.

Thats been decided.

From Burlingame to Mission Dolores, whats our best route via Public Trans. or otherwise?

sf
Level Contributor
3,149 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: RV In San Francisco

AsFI has said Caltrain from Burlingame, or check with the Hotel about whrther they have a Free Shuttle to Millbrae BART. Mission Dolores is not near either form of transit, but by BART to Civic Center then J Church MUNI Metro train .