We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Re: Argonaut vs. Cavallo Point

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
DeKalb, IL
Level Contributor
5 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Re: Argonaut vs. Cavallo Point

Promise this is the last one. We have an Alcatraz view booked at the Argonaut for 1/18-1/22 with out 2 teenagers for our 20th Anniversary. This will be our 1st time to SF and renting a car. It seems as if most of the stuff we're looking to do will be by the Wharf, with maybe a ride to Haight-Ashbury. For $200 more, I can get a King room with Golden Gate Bridge view at Cavallo Point. The CP also provides a free ferry to the wharf from Sausalito. The CP looks amazing, and the rooms look larger than the Argonaut. Looking for some veteran opinions!!

Thank you,

Andy

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Re: Argonaut vs. Cavallo Point

If this is your first time to SF, then stay in SF and the Argonaut is a great hotel at FW which is a very touristy area but the teens will have fun. Check out the First post on the SF forum for ideas -- There are trip reports there. A car is NOT necessary -- you are just going to be paying for parking overnight and hunt for and pay for parking elsewhere.

Just get on MUNI and go and see the city.

The CP is very nice and a great place to spend a night if you can do an extra night but not a way to see SF via a Sausalito Ferry Ride every time you want to get to and from SF

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
13,583 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Re: Argonaut vs. Cavallo Point

The Sausalito ferry will be $10 per person, each way, and has limited hours of operation. Cavallo Point is a great get-away spot for locals, but would not be a good base of operations to visit San Francisco for the first time. Now, as a splurge for the last night, it would be great!!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,731 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Re: Argonaut vs. Cavallo Point

Nice as it is for grownups, I think your teens would be very bored at Cavallo Point for four nights.

I would save it for you and your other half on a couples trip.

Don't rent a car while in San Francisco. Believe me. Very expensive to park at a hotel...useless transportation to see the sights because of the parking limitations, etc.

Edited: 02 January 2013, 00:44
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,731 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Re: Argonaut vs. Cavallo Point

Susan,

OP said Cavallo had a free shuttle. Still, its hours of operation must of necessity be limited.

OP....I would feel isolated there if trying to do what you want in the city. I agree with Susan, a nice splurge for the last night. Otherwise enjoy the city, not a commute across the Bay.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,731 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Re: Argonaut vs. Cavallo Point

Oops I meant free FERRY.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,783 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Re: Argonaut vs. Cavallo Point

We didn't stay at the Argonaut, but stayed at another Kimpton Hotel. Sign up for their loyalty program In Touch and you will get free internet. I used this when we were there having lunch at Blue Mermaid (check out the chowder sampler). I would spend some time in Union Square in the evening so much more going on then at Fisherman's Wharf.

We took MUNI buses, trolley's and cable cars all over the place and had a great time.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
13,583 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Re: Argonaut vs. Cavallo Point

You're right, Puter, I mis-read the original post as free transportation to the ferry, as it never dawned on me they'd offer free ferry rides. From info on their website, it looks like they actually offer free shuttle service to the ferry terminal in Sausalito, and a free shuttle to San Francisco.

Cavallo Point Complimentary Shuttle Service

Shuttle service to Sausalito is available Wednesday–Sunday, 9 am–5 pm and Monday and Tuesday by request.

Service to and from San Francisco is available Wednesday–Sunday.

Before 9 am and after 5:30 pm, shuttle will run based on availability and occupancy.

There are no runs to SFO, OAK or any other airports.

9:00 am – Depart from Cavallo Point (Building 601) to San Francisco

1st stop at Union Square (Post & Powell side of Westin Saint Francis); approximate arrival 9:30 am*

2nd stop at Fisherman's Wharf (Beach & Powell); approximate arrival 9:45 am*

10:30 am – Depart from Cavallo Point (Building 601) to Sausalito Ferry

Ferry departs at 10:55 am

11:45 am – Depart from Cavallo Point (Building 601) to Sausalito Ferry

Ferry departs at 12:15 pm

3:00 pm – Depart from Cavallo Point (Building 601) to Sausalito

Ferry departs at 3:20 pm

3:30 pm – Depart from Cavallo Point (Building 601) to San Francisco

1st stop at Union Square (Post & Powell side of Westin Saint Francis); approximate arrival 4:00 pm*

2nd stop at Fisherman's Wharf (Beach & Powell); approximate arrival 4:20 pm*

5:00 pm – Depart from Cavallo Point (Building 601) to Sausalito

6:00 pm arrival of Ferry, last run

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Re: Argonaut vs. Cavallo Point

The ferry schedule, free or not, makes it extrememly limiting to use Cavallo Point as a base to see San Francisco.

And while the location is gorgeous, I think teens would be bored out of their gourds after an hour or so.

Rooms at the Argonaut aren't large however -- at least that's what has been reported here.

And, did you check the Top Question that talks about Fisherman's Wharf vs. Union Square as a place to stay? Just want to be sure the Fisherman's Wharf suits you best as an area to stay. The Monaco at Union Square is also a Kimpton.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,422 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Re: Argonaut vs. Cavallo Point

I would stick with the Argonaut. (Well actually no, I'd get a hotel at Union Square or maybe off Market like the Hotel Palomar, but that is another story)

Why are you getting a car? Do you have plans outside the city?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,562 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Re: Argonaut vs. Cavallo Point

Agree with the above. Go with the Argonaut and ditch the car.