We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RV Rental Kitchen and Personal Convenience Kits

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
84 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
RV Rental Kitchen and Personal Convenience Kits

Hi there, we will be coming from NZ and hiring an RV from a company in San Francisco in Sept. All the RV rental companies hire kitchen and personal kits rangeing from US$50-$60 per person for the personal kits and US$125-$150 for the kitchen kits.

There will be 6 of us in the RV so my question is, are we better off paying for the hire kits or stocking up on the items at Walmart or somewhere similar once we have picked up the RV? After picking up the RV we will be driving towards Sacrermento. Our trip will be about 3 weeks long. Thanks

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,603 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RV Rental Kitchen and Personal Convenience Kits

Is it $125-$150 *per person* for the kitchen kits as well as the personal kits? That seems outrageous for a rental. We did both when we rented an RV. *Personal* included linens-sheets and towels- and things like dishtowels. There were only two of us.

I have never heard of charging per person for kitchen necessities. Of course you would need more dishes and flatware, but no more pots and pans and kitchen utensils than you would for less people.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,168 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RV Rental Kitchen and Personal Convenience Kits

go to a Grocery store such as a Safeway which in general has better produce and purchase what you need. You could also go to Walmart or even a Target. Safeway, Lucky's are pretty much in every city enroute so it will be easier to stop and get stuff

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
84 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RV Rental Kitchen and Personal Convenience Kits

Sorry, the kitchen kit is $125- $150 per RV not per person. The personal kits are per person.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,603 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RV Rental Kitchen and Personal Convenience Kits

belo.

I am confused. Are you suggesting that OP go to a Safeway and buy the kitchen stuff rather than rent the kit?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RV Rental Kitchen and Personal Convenience Kits

In regards to Post #2, the RV Rental company are offering "kits" (In America, you would say package), such as linens, sheets,and things that are need to make the bed, take a shower, etc. The Kitchen "kit" is the supplies you need to cook and serve a meal, pots, pans, dishes, cutlery, spatulas, etc. No food is involved with the kit (though they might have salt, pepper and a few other basic items).

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,168 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RV Rental Kitchen and Personal Convenience Kits

Puter -- For 150 per person, I was suggesting they go purchase it That is almost 900 and you can get things for much less than that. Now that the OP says it is per Rv, it makes more sense to rent it.

Darkbeer -- No wiki article for you to link this time ? Alas

Edited: 05 January 2013, 22:57
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,905 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: RV Rental Kitchen and Personal Convenience Kits

Kitchen kits & personal kits

=========

El Monte RV:

"Personal Convenience Kits ($50 each)

Includes: 2 Blankets; 2 Sheets; Pillow; 2 Pillow Cases; 2 Hand Towels; 2 Bath Towels; 2 Wash Towel; 2 Dish Towels; Cereal Bowl; Dinner Plate; Saucer (Salad Plate); 2 Glasses (12oz); Coffee Cup; Silverware Set (Fork, Spoon, Knife)

Kitchen Kit ($125)

Includes: Kettle/Cover; 1qt. Sauce Pan/Cover; 2qt. Sauce Pan/Cover; 6qt. Dutch Oven; Frying Pan; Coffee/Tea Pot; Vegetable Bowl; Platter; Water Pitcher; Strainer; Potato Peeler; Can Opener; Corkscrew; Cutlery Tray; 4pc. Cutlery Set; Wastepaper Basket; Toilet Brush w/ holder; Broom, Mop & Bucket; 2 Clothes Hangers; 2qt. Micro Bowl" elmonterv.com/en-us/…

- - -

Cruise America:

"The Personal Kit costs $55 per person, for the duration of the trip. It includes a sleeping bag or comforter, pillow, pillowcase, flat sheet, bath towel, washcloth and dishtowel. All items must be returned at end of trip.

The Vehicle Provisioning Kit costs $100 per vehicle, also for the duration of the trip. It includes a flashlight, can opener, broom, spatula, cooking spoon, cooking fork, coffee cups, tumblers, plates, soup bowls, silverware, tea kettle, colander, mixing bowl, and a cookware set. All items must be returned clean at end of trip." cruiseamerica.com/rent/renters_resources/

- - -

Road Bear

Convenience kit includes bedding, towels, & kitchen stuff. roadbearrv.com/CentralLibraryDocuments/Road%…

- - -

Moturis / Camping World

"Convenience Kit

$75 per person per rental

PER VEHICLE: - Set of Pots - Frying Pan - BBQ Grille - Mixing Bowl - Coffee Pot - Carving Knife - Cutting Board - Kitchen tissue - Serving Spoons - Scotch bright - Can/Bottle Opener - Dust Pan & Brush - Dish Cloth - Waste Basket/Bucket - Clothes Hangers - 2 Tea Towels - Mixing Utensils - Cork Screw

PER PERSON: - Blanket or Comforter - Pillow & Pillow Case - Set of Sheets - Face Cloth - Hand Towel - Bath Towel - Dinner Plate - Bread Plate - Cereal Bowl - Cup & Saucer - Glass - Knife/Fork/Spoon - Tea/Kitchen Towels" moturis.com/terms/

==============

It's hard to see the value other than convenience. Just go to Target and buy what you need or go to a Used Stuff Store (St Vincent de Paul, Thrift Shop, Salvation Army store, etc) for the basics and supplement with new items from Target or Walmart. Yes, this will take a bit longer.

I see that your group includes 3 adults & 3 kids. For six people, definitely shop!

+++++++

belo ~ lots of links from me. On another forum, I'm known as the Queen of Links.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,168 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: RV Rental Kitchen and Personal Convenience Kits

PNWF -- unlike the king of wiki who just provides links to info that is not useful. you do provide valuable info. LOL

As I mentioned, 900 would have been a crazy amount for all this. But for convenience sometimes it is easy especially for someone from abroad as they won't be carrying stuff back all the way home.

we've rented RVs a few times and the DW wanted to make sure everything was clean so we purchased the pots and pans and the bedding and at the end of our trip went to a UPS store and shipped it all back -- and we have since used it for all our camping trips - Not suggesting the OP does this given they are from Auckland.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: RV Rental Kitchen and Personal Convenience Kits

I would go ahead and get the "kit" that includes sheets and towels. Has anyone purchased them recently? I got new sheets (from Penny's!) and they're not cheap. I also bought a twin dorm set and towels recently at Target -- again I spent over $125. And that's not beginning to talk about blankets or eating utinsels.

Then what are you going to do with the stuff when you're done? Find a Good Will center to donate it to? Likely you'll just leave it in the RV.

Who wants to go shopping when they touch down after a long flight and pick up an RV? Certainly not I.

---

PNWF .. good links are one thing. Wiki leaks ... ooops, I mean links, are useless. (Dang, still wearing the tiara. Thankfully it looks great on me -- eat your heart out Kate Middleton!)

Edited: 05 January 2013, 23:31
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: RV Rental Kitchen and Personal Convenience Kits

The "kits" are rental equipment and must be returned at the end of the trip, so no chance to donate them, or take them home.