We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 hour layover

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
oshkosh
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
4 hour layover

HI,

I have a four hour layover in San Francisco. Would it be possible to take the BART to Fisherman Warf's and be back in time? Or should I just stick around the airport? I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
340 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 hour layover

My opinion is yes. It is possible in 4 hours. It will be a very quick trip, though. Stick to BART and the F line along Embarcadero for a more direct route. Cable cars from Powell might take too much time. Try catching the F line streetcar at the plaza across from the Ferry Building when you exit the Embarcadero BART station.

Fisherman's Wharf is walkable in little time. It's your choice which shops to check out.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,250 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 hour layover

Is it 4 hours from the time the plane lands to when the next flight takes off. If so your flight may be delayed, or it may take at least 10-15 minutes before you deplane even if the flight is on time.

You wil need at least 20 minutes to go through Security and it is wise to be at the gate 30 minutes prior to take off.

you can do the math then as to how much time you have.

BART takes 35 minutes to Powell or Embarcadero add time to get to the Bart station and wait for BART to leave so the elapsed time could be around 50 minutes each way. Please do the math to see if it makes sense

I would enjoy the airport, walk around have something to eat and relax

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
14,431 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 hour layover

For the sake of argument, say you arrive at 12 noon and leave at 4 pm (both domestic flights):

Depart plane, make your way to BART, buy ticket, wait for train = 10-20 minutes

BART train to Embarcadero station = 30 min.

Walk from Embarcadero station to Fisherman's Wharf = 30 min?

Reverse back to airport = 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours

Arrive at airport = 1 hour prior to flight (20 min. for security, arrive at gate 30 min. prior to departure)

Total time = 4 hours. Possibilities for delays = high. Margin for error = little to none.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,265 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 hour layover

If you had 6 hours, it would be a different story. Four hours doesn't give you enough time. Even though I'm at the airport several times a year, and take BART, so can get through really fast, I wouldn't try it. Too risky.

There are actually numerous nice restaurants and some very interesting art/history displays in SFO. Lots of interesting stuff. Enjoy your time there and just relax for your next flight. Maybe do a little stretching and exercizing, in preparation for your last leg.

Actually, I have to go to SFO fairly soon (again) for a red eye and am looking forward to taking my time and not rushing. Plenty to enjoy.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 hour layover

Or take a cab. Depending on time of day, plan for traffic. Do they still have free hotel shuttle pick ups at the airport? Perhaps go to a nearby hotel, to get some fresh air, change of scenery.

6. Re: 4 hour layover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2014, 05:19