We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must Eats in San Fran

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
294 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Must Eats in San Fran

I know San Fran is known for it's culinary delights. Where must I eat when I visit? (love seafood but open to all suggestions)

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,101 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must Eats in San Fran

For Seafod, in North Beach, regulars recommend Sotto Mare.

Do NOT eat at the Wharf, which can be mediocre in most places (except perhaps Scott's and Scoma's).

For an old fashioned experience, there is Tadich's on lower California St; no reservations taken.

Plenty of good Chinese seafood out in the Richmond District on Clement St, which could be paired with a visit to Land's End and the Legion of Honor Museum.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
370 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must Eats in San Fran

The Ferry Building is a great place too. Hog Island Oyster Company for seafood, or Il Cane Rosso for pretty much any time of the day. Blue Bottle for great coffee (try their waffle as a snack). If you visit the Ferry Building during a Tuesday or Saturday, you'll be able to enjoy the Farmer's Market.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,366 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must Eats in San Fran

DimSum -- Top Questions has a list, Other Chinese Food Ditto , Good Mexican Taquerias, Great Italian in North Beach, Farm to Table cuisine in plenty of restaurants, Great Sushi, and great Ceviche at Peruvian Restaurants

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,987 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must Eats in San Fran

The Big Eat List 2012: http://www.7x7.com/big-eat-2012-photos#/0

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,619 posts
5,730 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must Eats in San Fran

Agree with the Sotto Mare suggestion. We also have greatly enjoyed a couple meals at the House of Priime Rib. See reviews (w/pictures) if helpful.

Sotto Mare

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60713-d9541…

House of Prime Rib

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60713-d3704…

We also don't care much for dining on the Wharf but have found the chowder at Blue Mermaid Chowder House to be quite good over the past couple years as well. This might be worth a stop. See link (w/pictures) if helpful.

Blue Mermaid Chowder House

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60713-d3705…

Have a great trip to San Francisco.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,424 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Must Eats in San Fran

Sotto Mare, Tadich Grill and Sam's Grill are my three favorite "conventional" seafood spots in San Francisco with Tadich being my all time favorite. It is the oldest restaurant in CA dating back to the Gold Rush days.

I said conventional because there are the oyster bars that I consider unconventional since some of them are tiny, but great like Swan Oyster Depot, Anchor Oyster Bar and Hog Island Oyster Co. Not all take credit cards and some just have stools, but they are great.

Last in seafood are the "ethnic" seafood spots. For Chinese seafood spots, PPQ Dungeness Island, Thanh Long and R & G Lounge. La Mar Cebichería Peruana is great Peruvian seafood and El Delfin or SanJalisco for Mexican Seafood.

The only spot at the Wharf I go to consistently is Scoma's and that is when I want cioppino.

Other than that, I'd go through the lists in the Top Questions section. Questions like "most romantic mention spots I love like Quince, Waterbar, Venticello, Fleur De Lys and Kokkari, just to name a few.

San Francisco is I think the second best restaurant city in the US after NYC (Manhattan) because of the concentration of great places. There are just too many to mention and it depends on the mood you are in at that time.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,663 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Must Eats in San Fran

I'll second Tadich Grill and R&G Lounge. Haven't been to Sotto Mare, but it is on my wish list based on forum comments. Ditto on (generally) avoiding the Wharf restaurants, but will add that Scoma's is about the only one I'd consider in that area.

Others that would make my short list include: Hayes Street Grill and, if you're willing to travel out into the neighborhoods and/or will be in the area, Pacific Grill (it's in the Outer Richmond). Now, I've tended to avoid suggesting high-end places as you didn't indicate any kind of budget. Do you have a budget in mind? Providing some idea of how much you're willing/would like to spend can help us focus suggestions.

Also, I've avoided suggestion sushi (since it wasn't specifically mentioned), but there are certainly a good number of good sushi places in SF.

That's my $.02,

hlo

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
294 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Must Eats in San Fran

Thank you these look like wonderful suggestions. It's always good to see some agreement on suggestions too, usually means it's a good choice! My mouth is watering for some oysters now after reading some of this.

huntlaoffice I will take your sushi suggestions as well as I love sushi too!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,026 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Must Eats in San Fran

I'll second Hog Island Oysters, but it is awfully busy. On of my favourite North Beach stops is Molinari for a great sandwich!

10. Re: Must Eats in San Fran

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2014, 06:16