We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for teens activities in SF

Raleigh
Level Contributor
106 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations for teens activities in SF

Hi all:

Will be in SF in late July, currently have the Argonaut booked. We have 2 boys, 14 and 15. We have tix to a baseball game at AT&T Park, but other than that what would you recommend as fun activities for two teen boys? Also, how is the Argonaut? Cheers.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
182 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations for teens activities in SF

If they like to hike, there's the Land's End Trail.

Other suggestions might be Musee Mechanique at Pier 45, The Exploratorium, Fort Point, bike ride across the GG Bridge...

Raleigh
Level Contributor
106 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations for teens activities in SF

Thanks for the suggestions - the hike looks great, as does the Musee. I'll love these things, too. Is a trip to Alcatraz a must do?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
182 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations for teens activities in SF

Wow, I can't believe I forgot to include Alcatraz... Yes, it is absolutely a must do!

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations for teens activities in SF

I think if you get out of town, you can find some great stuff for kids...

California Great America

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom

Winchester Mystery House

Mystery Spot

Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk

Jelly Belly Factory Tour

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations for teens activities in SF

Jelly Belly Factory? For teenagers? I doubt it. Same goes for the Winchester Mystery House. I went in 4th grade and found it very hoo-hum even then. And all the things in #3 are 30-60 minutes away from the city.

I will add Academy of Sciences (if they like that sort of thing).

Also, renting bikes and riding along the bay, over the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito and catching the ferry back. (oops, I see aready mentioned -- +1 for it). There is a TQ about the ride with lots of information.

Perhaps a Segway tour through Golden Gate Park.

Maritime Pier at the end of Hyde Street (very close to the Musee Mecanique).

Checking out Haight Street and Valencia Street.

Perhaps the Disney Family museum in the Presidio.

Also, Angel Island. They have a Segway tour there or the rim trail is a nice 5 mile hike with great views all around the bay. There is an Immigration Center there that has been restored and is quite interesting.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations for teens activities in SF

Game at AT&T Park and Alcatraz would top my list. Bicycle across Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito taking ferry back is way up there. If in town on Sunday, JFK in Golden Gate Park closes; bring or rent skates. Museums are great for kids; the new Exploratorium should be open. Some great [free, but donations appropriate] tours are provided by the SF Public Library. One of those might be terrific. Obviously a ride on a Cable Car, I prefer Aquatic Park back to Powell St, and if you have a car, drives down Hill Street, across Pacific Heights on Divisidero are exciting. I’d find a reason to eat something with chop sticks. There’s a hamburger joint, I think in Ghirardelli, with great views of the bay. Kids might like riding BART under the bay [tip: you only need a ticket from one Market Street location to another, cross the bay and just come back].

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,485 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendations for teens activities in SF

With boys that age, perhaps you can ask them to check SF out and see what they want to do. We do that with our boys who are about that same age and that way when we travel we get to do things with them and they get to do things with us.

Many of the things Sal and SFcityguy and LD would be great to do. Besides the Segway tour the gocars tours are a lot of fun and we do them in our own city once a year just because the boys want to do them. Hikes along the landsend trail are fun. If you do want to go to a theme park either the Six Flags or Great America would be fun Six Flags being closer.

Opp ATT park is a bowling alley that our boys like and also ice skating and bowling in the Yerba Buena gardens

They will fall asleep at the Winchester Mystery house and the Mystery spot is interesting for --oh 1 minute and I don't think it is worth going all the way there. Santa Cruz is fun if you have more time and an extra night though you can certainly do a day trip there.

Edited: 16 January 2013, 17:54
Raleigh
Level Contributor
106 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommendations for teens activities in SF

Great recommendations everyone - thanks for the tips! Is the Argonaut worth the $249/night price (actually, I think that's a steal).

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,485 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommendations for teens activities in SF

That is a steal for that hotel. Whether something is worth it is a personal choice. That hotel and a couple more are the only most frequently recommended in that area. Compared to hotel prices in Raleigh, SF rates are typically always high

How many days are you in SF and where else are you going. That would help us give you more specific ideas

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
661 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommendations for teens activities in SF

If your kids are into Japanese animae at all consider a stop at the J-town "mall." We took friends there and their 15 yr old boy could have stayed all day. He also liked walking around Chinatown and looking in the crazy electronics stores and walking around the remains of the Sutro baths (out on ocean beach near the Cliff House and Lands End park)