We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orchard hotel in San Francisco

Bayport, Minnesota
Level Contributor
15 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Orchard hotel in San Francisco

Hi

I am planning an April trip in San Francisco the Orchard seems like a fairly nice property for a value but, I am concerned when I see the google map it shows adult theatre on the next block. Is this a safe area at night? Is it questionable? I would like to stay under $300 per night but, don't want to be in area where there is alot of loitering on the street. We are looking for a great access to cable cars but, want a good nights sleep too. Your response is greatly appreciated. If this is not what I am looking for can you make a better sugestion Thanks

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,823 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Orchard hotel in San Francisco

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60713-d217844-… has plenty of reviews that you can read. You are in a major city in the US and SF has it quota of pan handlers and people who loiter and guess where they are -- in the tourist area.

The Tenderloin is the area we suggest you avoid at night and that is South West of you and not in your area.

You will be fine There are plenty of other hotels such as the Fairmont or Mark Hopkins if you want to go up Nob Hill or the Westin St. Francis or Grand Hyatt on Union Squre

Southwest
Level Contributor
1,745 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Orchard hotel in San Francisco

I've stayed there before and it was a great stay. No need to worry about the neighborhood. In fact, I've stayed at the Cornell, which is right next door to the adult club, and I never saw or heard any activity from the place.

You'll enjoy Orchard. The room was pleasant and the staff very friendly.

Southwest
Level Contributor
1,745 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Orchard hotel in San Francisco

I forgot to add that there is a nice cafe next door for breakfast, Uncle Vito's across the street for decent pizza, Starbuck's and Cafe de la Presse around the corner - plus many more nearby. Lots of shops and Chinatown is just a short walk down the street.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Orchard hotel in San Francisco

Well I've stayed there with my teen daughter and I thought it was a great place in a terrific location. We walked everywhere including at night and we never felt uncomfortable. Hope you have a great stay.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Orchard hotel in San Francisco

That theater (or club, whatever) has been there forever and I've never seen anyone even come or go, much less loiter (not that I'm in the area at night often). It's a gay club as well -- perhaps homosexuals aren't as rowdy outside strip clubs as heteros are. (I'm being serious, sort of .) The Yelp reviews are "interesting" -- sounds like there isn't a huge clientele: yelp.com/biz/nob-hill-adult-theatre-san-fran…

That section of Bush is quite nice and the upscale restaurant "Sons and Daughters" is across the street from the theater.

I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,471 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Orchard hotel in San Francisco

We have stayed in that area and I consider it quite "normal". I didn't even know that "club" was there until I read this thread. I would not be concerned.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,766 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Orchard hotel in San Francisco

I've stayed at a hotel on the same block as the "theatre" (about 2-3 doors away), I wouldn't consider it an issue in any way, shape or form.

hlo

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
6,097 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Orchard hotel in San Francisco

Oh Goodness, those Yelp reviews of the Nob Hill Theater were priceless. As the openly Gay destination expert on the board I will admit to never visiting. I'm sure there might be a draw for someone still single in their 30s, but this place sounds like more of a time-warp to the early '80s.

Don't consider it a bad omen for the neighborhood. You'd have more issues in the vicinity of the straight clubs in North Beach.

And when it comes to gauging neighborhood safety - keep your eyes peeled for Check Cashing services. That's the sign of a declining neighborhood.

Southwest
Level Contributor
1,745 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Orchard hotel in San Francisco

Too funny, sfimporter!

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,511 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Orchard hotel in San Francisco

Absolutely no problems staying there.

The area is fine___I've stayed almost next door to this "Theatre" at the Cornel and like hlo I didn't even notice it.