We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

25 Things About San Francisco

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
143 reviews
Save Topic
25 Things About San Francisco

What makes San Francisco what it is?

This is a novel little blog from a Boston transplant.

jasonevanish.com/2013/…

I agree with the reader comments at the end. Pabst Blue Ribbon is hipster, but everything else seems spot on.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 25 Things About San Francisco

Agreed. This is a good article (except for the PBR). Thanks for sharing!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,410 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 25 Things About San Francisco

Some San Francisco PBR trivia - In 1981 Paul Kalmanovitz, who owned the Pabst Brewing Company, wanted to erect a giant statue (like the statue of liberty) of a robed, blindfolded woman holding aloft the scales of justice overlooking San Francisco Bay. The statue failed to materialize after a series of debates over its location.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 25 Things About San Francisco

Interesting blog. Thanks for posting.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,046 posts
5,330 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 25 Things About San Francisco

Enjoyed browsing through this list, will read it more properly later on. Some interesting similarities and such.

1.) We share the same rent and overall cost situation in Hong Kong.

2.) Although HK is very mountainous, we don't seem to have as many viewpoints and with the likelihood of poor air quality these days the views in HK are likely hindered anyway.

3.) HK is a foodie destination as well but our strengths are more towards Asian cuisine, you certainly don't come here for a nice steak!

4.) While SF takes things to the extreme, our cultural norm is more to conform

5.) All the best tech stuff starts in SF and HKers have a craze for it along with the novelty and handheld devices. SF designs it and HK buys it.

There are times on our MTR, when I can look and see 15-20 consecutive people using some sort of new mobile device or gadget. It is as if you are the odd one, weird guy if you are not handling something with ear plugs attached.

6.) Not mentioned in the blog is SF love for historic public transportation - unrivaled anywhere other than Hong Kong in my opinion. We have our historic street tram (HK Island), cable car up Victoria Peak and the historic Star Ferry which still plies the waters of Victoria Harbor, transporting people between Kowloon and HK Island, all day and night.

7.) One huge difference. SF has a very nice Chinatown..... Our version is called - going outside! ;-)

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,446 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 25 Things About San Francisco

I always thought SF should have escalators going up the sides of the hills like HK.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 25 Things About San Francisco

About that steak - while not Hong Kong proper, one of the best filet mignon I've ever had was in Macau (so it's within reach!)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,099 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 25 Things About San Francisco

You have Tsim Sha Tsui and we don't -- love to say it a few times instead of TST

You have a Disneyland we have the Disney Museum -THANK GOD

You have excellent Dim Sum Naturally. Ours is good even in the outlying areas and in the Peninsula but not as good

Edited: 20 January 2013, 02:15
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
104 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 25 Things About San Francisco

Thanks for posting. So interesting to see SF through this blogger's eyes. Lived in Boston for a few years and I can certainly appreciate what he's talking about! Great article, put a smile on my face. Thanks again for sharing.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,046 posts
5,330 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 25 Things About San Francisco

sfimporter,

We spend a lot of time in Macau... some excellent Portuguese, Macanese and great local dim sum to be found there...

belomiser,

Yes, the dim sum standard in HK is something else, can't recall the last time we had a bad yum cha sitting (its been years) and we go often.

simba_8,

The Mid-levels escalator, which you are referring to is quite fun. It goes through a nice district called Soho which is teeming with western and international restaurants as well.

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

We just rode it last weekend going up from Queens Road area to Soho for our evening dinner.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,099 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 25 Things About San Francisco

Simba -- what !! you don't like our Filbert and Greenwich Escalator ? LOL