We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it worth driving or flying San Fran to LAs Vegas

njh
uk
Level Contributor
389 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Is it worth driving or flying San Fran to LAs Vegas

We are doing a two week road trip of LA to San Fran and would llike to end in Vegas- we thought we could drive up the coast to san fran and then through/near the national parks from San Fran through to vegas but not sure we a) will have enough time or b) will waste time driving and woudl be better doing a trip to a national park but then flying to Las Vegas?

Any thoughts??

Norfolk England
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it worth driving or flying San Fran to LAs Vegas

Hi

I have done the drive but had more time than you have. I think you ought to fly and save the time you would have spent driving in Las Vegas. Most people who go to Las Vegas for a short stop wish they had more time there. There is alot to do and see in that city without even gambling.

Clive

njh
uk
Level Contributor
389 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it worth driving or flying San Fran to LAs Vegas

would we have tme to do yosemite or one of the parks whilst at San Fran?

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,899 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it worth driving or flying San Fran to LAs Vegas

If you want to see parks like Yosemite, you probably should drive. Yosemite is not that close to San Fran and you can easily integrate it into a drive to Vegas. Do check the costs of any rental car drop be it in San Fran or Vegas if you're doing a one-way.

Have fun.

Norfolk England
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it worth driving or flying San Fran to LAs Vegas

Hi

We did Yosemite and Death Valley on our drive but that added 2 nights to the drive. Skipping Death Valley you can do it with a one night stop. A lot of driving but if you want to see Yosemite you can.

Clive

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
62,356 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it worth driving or flying San Fran to LAs Vegas

I don't see anyplace that you've shared WHEN you're traveling. Did I miss it? (I missed that info on someone else's thread, and the OP was kind of snarky about pointing it out.)

Yes, it's worth driving. Yes, Yosemite NP is 'worth it.' Some folks travel to California just to visit Yosemite.

Multi-destination itinerary planning is best done on the California state forum. The Top Questions on that page include info about the lovely drive on hwy 1 between San Francisco (abbreviated SF) and L.A. as well as the fabulous drive between Las Vegas NV and Yosemite Valley inside Yosemite NP. The Top Q on this page are all about the compact city of San Francisco.

When you repost on the California page, please include when you're traveling, who is in the travel group, and info about your travel style. We can also give you tips about car rental for UK visitors.

California tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28926-i29-Califor…

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it worth driving or flying San Fran to LAs Vegas

With 2 weeks you''ll have the time to drive between LA and SF and between SF and Las Vegas. many people do this but time of year is important re Tioga Pass openingtimes.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,983 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it worth driving or flying San Fran to LAs Vegas

The drive is wonderful if you budget at least 2 nights en route, including a night in Yosemite. However, as others have noted, driving is dependent upon time of year. If the Tioga Pass is closed, it is better to fly from SF to Vegas.

However, if you plan on going to Yosemite anyway, I recommend driving regardless of season. It's faster to drive to Vegas after Yosemite than it is to return to SF and then fly.

Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it worth driving or flying San Fran to LAs Vegas

Flying is much cheaper, quicker than driving

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,983 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it worth driving or flying San Fran to LAs Vegas

It costs around $100 per person to fly to Vegas. Considering the "we" language, I wouldn't be so sure about that. Also, it isn't much quicker if you account for the extra 4 hours of drive time back to SF plus another 90 minutes to get on a plane.

10. Re: Is it worth driving or flying San Fran to LAs Vegas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 24 January 2013, 22:00