We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dinner for a large group near Union Square

North Carolina
Level Contributor
73 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
dinner for a large group near Union Square

Hi,

I will be in town for a large conference in March and am wondering if anyone has some suggestions for a place for dinner that would be able to accomodate about 10-15 people, also lets say within a 10 minute walk or so from Union Square. Budget around $20-25 for an entree, its a diverse group so open to suggestions as to type of food. Thanks!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: dinner for a large group near Union Square

Buca Di Beppo(italian) is always decent although its pretty loud. Their portions are huge so ask before ordering, and search for the ten dollar off coupons that are always available!

Edited: 30 January 2013, 02:05
Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,377 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dinner for a large group near Union Square

Have a look at Johns Grill.

They have a private room and will customize a menu to suit your budget and tastes.

http://www.johnsgrill.com/

Edited: 30 January 2013, 02:14
Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,377 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dinner for a large group near Union Square

Thought of another that might suit but I'm not sure of the budget.

Scala's Bistro.

http://www.scalasbistro.com/

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,009 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dinner for a large group near Union Square

What sort of food ? There are hundreds of restaurants around Union square from Chinese restaurants to Italian to French to American

Have a look at the private dining section of www.opentable.com for reviews and menus

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
14,956 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dinner for a large group near Union Square

Italian is usually popular with groups -- try Fino for traditional Italian-American dishes served in a cozy, neighborhood restaurant.

For American food, Fish & Farm or Jasper's Corner Tap would work - both with American comfort-food menus.

For Asian, there is E&O Asian Kitchen (modern Southeast Asian dishes for sharing -- Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam).

B44 for Spanish, tapas and paella.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,772 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: dinner for a large group near Union Square

Please don't go with Buca Di Beppo. It's right on par with Olive Garden.

Here's an opentable.com list for you:

http://tinyurl.com/berxsfc

I'd strongly consider Cafe Claude, Grand Cafe, Kuleto's. John's Grill does have some great San Francisco history.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,395 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: dinner for a large group near Union Square

I was able to have a lunch for 12 at Cupola in Westfield Center in the outside area (which is inside under the dome). You can call to arrange a table outside "under the dome" in advance. It was quite easy to order 3-4 pizzas and salads to share (I recommend 3-4 of the Cupola "Dome" Salad to split amongst the group). Some preferred ordering individual pasta dishes; ingredients taste very fresh and perfectly cooked. The atmosphere outside in the fenced in area felt private and we could hear each other talk. tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60713-d22…

So. Cal
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: dinner for a large group near Union Square

Locals will probably slam my suggestion but check out Hakkasan for a cool metropolitan atmosphere, with impeccable service. If you sample/ share dishes you could probably stay within budget, not including alcohol. Prices vary. Our dessert was seeing Vernon Davis there.

Adore Cafe Claude! Fish & Farm and Jasper's are great too!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,009 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: dinner for a large group near Union Square

Hakkasan is a new fancy sorta chain in town -- Not been there yet and don't feel like going but no worries. How was the food Socal?

I am glad you say the right honorable Davis there. I am sure that is a good sign with all that positive energy coming from all the Southern CA fans.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
73 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: dinner for a large group near Union Square

Thanks for all of these great responses, I'll check them out. Yes, definitely not a chain restaurant if we can help it, we have Buca here where we live. We do have a place we like to go in Chinatown, so we'll do that one night, plus I want to try and get reservations one evening at the Slanted Door, so for this dinner, no Asian. And no tapas, some of the guys we are with are not a fan. I'll check these links, but any other suggestions welcome as well. Thanks!