We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire Locations in Central San Francisco

Lancs, UK
Level Contributor
46 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire Locations in Central San Francisco

Hi,

I realise that I can pick up a hire car from central San Francisco.

A couple of the pick-up locations on the Carhire 3000 websites are listed as 'Westin Hotel' and 'Marriott Hotel', I'm guessing at these locations they basically drop-off the car you've chosen to hire.

I just hoped someone could let me know if some of the central locations are of the large 'airport car park' type. Or are all the central locations small and basically, they deliver your car, with no chance of paying for an up-grade if I feel the car I've chosen is too small.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,440 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire Locations in Central San Francisco

On O'Farrell street close to Union Square is a parking garage which has many of the car rental companies. It is not as large as SFO the airport. Well as far as upgrade goes, please read the fine print before you do as the surcharge can be per day and it adds up if you are booking the car for a few weeks -- I would book the car i want rather than hoping to get another one. In this day and age of the internet, you can search for info on the car categories and type and see the type of cars in each class and see photos, size, trunk space, blah blah and decide what you want up front before you book

There may be more cars available if there are no conventions in town or it is not a busy summer vacation period

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
16,654 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire Locations in Central San Francisco

The location at O'Farrell and Mason (Dollar, National, Hertz and Alamo, with Enterprise 1/2 block away) is the only location where the companies might have a fairly large selection. Although this is in a multi-story parking garage, there's just not the same acreage available downtown as at the airport, so fewer cars to choose from. I would arrange to do a pickup as early in the day as possible for best selection, especially in the summer.

Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire Locations in Central San Francisco

Avis is near by on Post.

I don' t know the cross street.

Hertz at the airport has a huge selection of cars.

Lancs, UK
Level Contributor
46 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire Locations in Central San Francisco

Thanks for the replies, I'll arrange for collection at the O'Farrell location.

I'm not planning on the up-grade, just going to book a large family car and hope that 3 suitcases fit in the boot, if not I've the chance of getting something larger.

Cheers - Corry.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,440 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire Locations in Central San Francisco

There is one next to the Donatello Hotel on Mason near Post. They are also a parking garage and seem to have quite a few rentals as observed from an upper floor of the hotel.

6. Re: Car Hire Locations in Central San Francisco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2014, 06:18