We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Handlery and Westin St. Francis questions

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
808 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Handlery and Westin St. Francis questions

We are coming down the 1st week of May and staying at the Westin St. Francis as part of a work related bonus award. My DW and I have yet to explore S.F. and will extend our stay a few extra days. For a change we thought to stay at the Handlery a similar quality hotel. DW is a smoker and was wondering if a smoking is allowed outside the room on the balcony. If not, are there areas where smoking is allowed?

In Canada the rules seem the same with regards to distance from an entrance and in certain public places such as line ups, bus shelters and what not but she is curious if the laws are more stringent in Union Square area.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,761 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Handlery and Westin St. Francis questions

abclocal.go.com/kgo/story…

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Handlery and Westin St. Francis questions

With regards to smoking on the balcony, that is a question I would direct to the hotel. Often it is not allowed as the smoke can waft into an adjacent room.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Handlery and Westin St. Francis questions

Are you saying the Handlery is similar to the Westin or are you saying you will stay at the Handlery OR a similar hotel? Because tI've stayed at the Handlery and it is NOT similar to the Westin.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
808 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Handlery and Westin St. Francis questions

We have the option of staying at the Westin but thought to change hotels for the experience. If the Westin is better, we would then stay put. Is that your recommendation ? We are only basing our decision on prices being similar.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Handlery and Westin St. Francis questions

I guess I was just reading this part of your topic and wondered what you meant by this:

"For a change we thought to stay at the Handlery a similar quality hotel."

If the price is similar to what you are seeing at the Westin then that is the only similarity. The Westin is way superior to the Handlery.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,761 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Handlery and Westin St. Francis questions

I get your question about smoking and appreciate you checking on that part. But I don't understand the concept of changing hotels What experience are you looking for that will cause you to change hotels ? I can understand being at a resort with a beach or with pools or spas or requiring a pool or a gym for a stay in a city hotel, so perhaps you can be more specific about what you are looking for? If it is the smoking part, I get it.

The Westin tower rooms are larger and have nice views but as Sal said, you may need to check about the smoking part. If you are innSF for a few days, personally I would stay in one hotel and spend the time experiencing the city

Edit: I guess we all have the same question

Edited: 04 February 2013, 16:22
Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
808 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Handlery and Westin St. Francis questions

Thank You for the quick reply. The change of hotels was to see if smoking was allowed on the balcony at the Handlery, If not, then we would simply stay at the Westin as our group rate would be very similar to the Handerly. We are new to San Fran and where not sure about the difference in quality. Seems like the best option is to stay put and send DW out on the street for her puff.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,761 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Handlery and Westin St. Francis questions

Or you can tell her smoking and fois gras are both banned in SF but one would have a grumpy DW and we all know that is no fun. LOL

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,468 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Handlery and Westin St. Francis questions

The West St. Francis and the Handlery are next door to each other, across Geary Street.

I would not count on being able to smoke on a balcony. Most hotels in San Francisco now are completely smoke free, including balconies.

Each of these hotels has an :"original" and a "newer" section. If you are in a tower room at the St. Francis I would stay put.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,504 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Handlery and Westin St. Francis questions

Get a tower room and stay put.

Have a great trip.