We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips from san Jose to SF - what to do

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
903 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips from san Jose to SF - what to do

Hi,

While my husband will be at work, I would like to visit SF during the day and head back. I would be using the Caltrain.

1. Can you recommend what I can cover in 7days as a lone tourist during the first week of March. I would be using public transport only. - tourist places,shopping areas,food

2. Are cabs easy to get in SF or it depends on the area?

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,178 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips from san Jose to SF - what to do

In seven day trips to San Francisco you will be able to cover just about everything you could possibly want.

If it were me planning that trip I would work on one full day for Fisherman's Wharf, the Embarcadero and North Beach, one which finished up things in those areas and took a half day trip to Alcatraz, one to the many attractions of Golden Gate Park, one to the Mission District, one to John Muir Woods including seeing the Golden Gate Bridge up close and personal, one to Napa or Sonoma for some wine tasting and finally one to Union Square/Market Street for some retail therapy.

The Muir Woods and wine country trips would obviously require you to join a tour or rent a car, which you could just do for these days only.

Cabs are easy to find in central San Francisco and at major tourist attractions outside of the centre. I would have a cab company number to hand for when cabs aren't immediately available. The locals will guide you best on which.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips from san Jose to SF - what to do

Cabs can be found downtown fairly easily (as long as it's not raining). Fisherman's Wharf is not an easy place to find a cab but the public transit in that area makes it unnecessary to.

Try to avail yourself of the Baby Bullet trains and the ride will only be an hour rather than 90+ minutes.

If you plan on coming to the city for 7 straight days, I'd recommend you pick up a Muni Passport for unlimited bus and cable car fare. They are sold at SF airport but if you're flying into San Jose you'll have to pay one fare in the city as I don't believe they're sold at the CalTrain station in SF. They are sold at Embarcadero Station so you can catch the Metro at CalTrain and get off there to pick one up. Or continue along to Powell St -- there are many places around Union Square where they are sold: http://www.sfmta.com/cms/mfares/passports.htm

You don't specifically mention museums but the Terra Cotta Warriors are at the Asian Art Museum at Civic Center, the "Girl with the Pearl Earring" is at the de Young in Golden Gate Park and "Treasures from the Louvre" at the Legion of Honor in Lincoln Park.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,917 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips from san Jose to SF - what to do

I think 5 days for SF is plenty. I recommend spending one day in Santa Cruz and one day in Monterey. Both are easy to reach from San Jose. Buses pick up at Diridon Station (main Caltrain depot) and select other locations and run directly to both towns.

Santa Cruz: http://www.scmtd.com (see Hwy. 17 Express)

Monterey: http://www.mst.org (see Route 55)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,485 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips from san Jose to SF - what to do

There is plenty of info on what to do and see in the top question WHAT TO DO AND SEE in SF including 3 day itineraries, trip reports. You see one person's opinion for what to do. There are plenty others so you can pick and chose.

Perhaps you can start with a 1/2 day tour to get your bearing and then spend the rest of the days seeing the neighborhoods in detail.

The 7 days -- does that mean your DH is working weekends too? Do you have a car in San Jose ? Are you going to weekend trips by car ?

What specifically would you like to do and see. It helps to be more specific so that you can get great ideas such as the museums mentioned by Sal above

Edited: 11 February 2013, 21:21
Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
309 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips from san Jose to SF - what to do

>>I think 5 days for SF is plenty. I recommend spending one day in Santa Cruz and one day in Monterey.<<

That's interesting you don't mention the East Bay davdaven - I'd say give Berkeley a day and skip one of those depending on your interests - if you like upper-class tourism do Monterey, funkier beach town go to Santa Cruz.

Personally I would do the Union Square-Chinatown-North Beach walk one day, then do Fisherman's if you must (tourist central, but not very 'authentic'). I see you're from New York (probably City?) and if you have thicker skin the Mission and the Haight are great neighborhoods. Also taking the train out to Inner Sunset, Golden Gate Park and Inner Richmond would be a great day. But the SF locals would know better.

One thing I might suggest would be catching the ferry from the Ferry Building to Jack London Square in Oakland - the vegan soul food restaurant is one of my favorites in the Bay and you could skim the surface of Oakland, which is more or less the Brooklyn of the Bay. But that's just a suggestion. You'll have a good time regardless, public transit trips are best.

Oh and if you're in San Jose go to Japantown, very cool area. And the Tech Museum isn't just for kids.

Edited: 12 February 2013, 04:17
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
903 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips from san Jose to SF - what to do

Thank you for replying. Soooo many options...people who live here are blessed I guess.

My interests are - wine tours ,the bay, parks, 1 museum only:) , food and shopping. What I do not like to do but cannot avoid I guess, is walking around alot.

Belomiser ,

My husband and I will be going together on the weekend but using public transportation. I was even suggesting we spend Friday and Sat night in SF to avoid going back and forth from San Jose. Any central hotel recommendations within 150$?

7. Re: Day trips from san Jose to SF - what to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2014, 07:15