We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is better... Handlery or Prescott Hotel?

Kamloops, BC, Canada
Level Contributor
102 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Which is better... Handlery or Prescott Hotel?

Any recommendations regarding the Handlery or the Prescott? The Prescott is coming in about $700 cheaper over the course of a 6 day trip. The views of the Prescott seem fine and we have stayed at the Handlery before so we know what to expect there. We were very happy with the Handlery... no complaints.

Thanks!

Lisa

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,088 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which is better... Handlery or Prescott Hotel?

Hard to say which is better. Location wise either is fine. The reviews for that Kimpton hotel are good You can get free wifi if you sign up for their hotel program. here is another view or look at the Prescott.

oyster.com/san-francisco/…

If you are saving 700, I personally would just save that money. The Handlery is not 700 dollars better imho -- based on reviews and comments and not based on staying in either hotel -- I would use that to get a few nice dinners in SF

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,063 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which is better... Handlery or Prescott Hotel?

If you look at the oyster.com site that belo give you and look at all the pictures you will notice pictures of rooms which look out on light wells and pictures which show chipped paint on window frames, etc. The Handlery is a better maintained hotel. I also hope you read the reviews.

If you are one of the "I never go to the room except to sleep" this may not matter to you and the price difference would be a deal breaker.

I, personally, get claustrophobia when in an interior room with a depressing view, but, again, it is my bias.

Just to say.

I am sure you will have a lovely visit.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,380 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which is better... Handlery or Prescott Hotel?

The Handlery has a mix of shapes and sizes with its rooms and some are better than others and when I have stayed there I have never had a problem ánd I haven't stayed at the Prescott but I'm thinking like belo___which restaurants could I spend that $700 at.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,047 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which is better... Handlery or Prescott Hotel?

Haven't stayed at the Handlery but we enjoyed our stay at the Prescot. The rooms are nice and clean and well appointed. The room we had was quite small but very nice.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which is better... Handlery or Prescott Hotel?

I recall Wes Tyler, the GM at the Chancellor and a DE here saying that the rooms at the Prescott were larger than one might expect for a boutique hotel.

Are there different "grades" or "levels" of rooms at the Prescott? Are you getting the lesser grade at the Prescott for a higher grade at the Handerly?

To be honest, I prefer the location of the Prescott as I think Post and north is preferable to Geary and south.

$100+/per night difference in the two is rather extreme for what I think are relatively comparable properties. Makes me wonder a bit. I'd do a bit more idigging into the "why" of the difference.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,063 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which is better... Handlery or Prescott Hotel?

I agree with Sal. I would do a room comparison, not just a price comparison.

From the reviews the Prescott has a "club level", which OP is undoubtedly not getting at the price difference, but the Handlery also has a "club level".

I would be sure I was comparing apples with apples.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,380 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which is better... Handlery or Prescott Hotel?

The problem with most old boutique properties is that over many years and many facelifts rooms have been created in lots of different configurations.

The only room I have seen at the Prescott was reasonably large (perhaps they were showing me a club room ) and I have seen many rooms at the Handlery and all were different apart from the premier rooms which are pretty much all the same..

Sometimes very hard to know if you are comparing apples with apples.

The Chancellor on the other hand is a VERY solid building and nothing has been done like knocking walls down to create different room sizes____every room is the same.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,063 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which is better... Handlery or Prescott Hotel?

>>Sometimes very hard to know if you are comparing apples with apples.<<

Agreed, if all you have to go on is the reviews of the hotel.

You have to ask specific questions about the room you are being assigned to. Of course if you book online, especially with a third party booking agent, you can't do this, unless the website gives you specific choices of rooms.

Edited: 12 February 2013, 06:16
Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,047 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which is better... Handlery or Prescott Hotel?

I should have noted in my previous post that we got the Prescot on a Priceline bid and were most likely given the smallest room they had. Still, it was very nice and in a good location.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,549 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which is better... Handlery or Prescott Hotel?

I'm a little late to this discussion, but will chime in with some analysis based on TA data and then make another comment or two.

1. Ranking are 65th for the Prescott and 39th for the Handlery (out of 237). I don't pay attention to slight differences in rankings; I tend to look at them in tiers. If these hotels were only 5-10 apart, I would call them equal, but here you're talking about one squarely between the top 10% & top 20% (Handlery) and one that misses making the top 25% (but is close). Clearly both are on the higher end (based on TA users), but I'd say the edge goes to Handlery.

2. Some observations on the review distributions:

a) 78% of the reviews are excellent or good for the Handlery and 75% for the Prescott; pretty much a toss-up. But the Execellent to Good ranking ratio is .84 for the Handlery while the Prescott's is .75. Overall, I'd say slight edge to Handlery.

b) % of Poor or Terrible reviews are: Handlery = 8%; Prescott = 10%. Not sure I'd call this significant, but if anything you'd have to give the edge to the Handlery.

c) It's also worth noting that the number of reviews is much greater for the Handlery (getting close to 1,600 versus less than 600 for the Prescott). I always believe that more data = more overall more accurate data.

For me the more important question is does the edge the Handlery have from the above analysis equal $700? I'd probably say not, for the following reasons:

1. Personal preference, I prefer to save $$$ on the hotel and spend the money on other things. As pointed out $700 will buy some nice meals at some nice restaurants. (Heck, my last trip I think my whole budget for meals wasn't over $700 and if so, not by much.)

2. While the edge goes to the Handlery it's not an overwhelming edge. If we were looking at larger differences in the above analysis it might be that I'd think the difference was worth $700 . . . but we're not.

Say the rankings were 39th & 100th (that would put the lower hotel just barely making the top 50%) or the percentage of poor/bad reviews for the lower hotel was in the 20% range (twice as high) or . . . well, I think you get the idea.

Bottom Line: Given the significant price difference and not so significant difference in quality (based on TA data), I'd go with the Prescott.

I suppose one other factor I haven't considered is what percentage the $700 "premium" represents of the total cost of the trip. If it was a 5% premium I might be more likely to go with the nicer hotel; if it was a 25% premium, less likely. On the other hand to some extent this is meaningless; after all, $700 is $700.

That's my $.02,

hlo