We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tuscan Inn vs Argonaut hotel

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
37 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Tuscan Inn vs Argonaut hotel

We will be taking our first west coast trip this October from the 2nd to the 16th. After doing tons of research on trip advisor we have narrowed down our choices to the BW Tuscan Inn and the Argonaut hotel which are comparable in price. Any pros and cons on either of these two? The Argonaut seems to be in a more remote commercial area while the Tuscan seems to have more around it (restaurants, food shops, pharmacy). Am I wrong? Is one more safe than the other? Any other suggestions welcome. Thanks to all for your replies.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tuscan Inn vs Argonaut hotel

In that part of town NOT being in the middle of the commercial stuff is a bonus since so much of Fisherman's Wharf has gone the way of ticky-tacky cr@p.

The entire area has the same high level of safety, just watch for pickpockets as you could set a rocket off in the area and not hit anyone who lives in town.

A recent conversation here: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k610245…

Edited: 24 February 2013, 17:56
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Tuscan Inn vs Argonaut hotel

We stayed at the Argonaut (Kimpton Hotel) a couple years ago and loved it. We had a room with a view of the Golden Gate Bridge and the cable car turnaround. Very convenient for being a tourist, and we didn't have any trouble finding places to eat, although we were traveling with children and not looking for gourmet food. It's in the middle of a very touristy area...walk to Fisherman's Wharf, Ghiradelli Square, cable cars, etc. and National Park visitor center in the lobby (effectively). All the pros and cons of being in the heart of tourist-central. :-)

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
26,728 posts
5,781 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tuscan Inn vs Argonaut hotel

I'd probably opt for the Argonaut....its a nice hotel. There are restaurants close by to either place - easy walking distance to several. For the best fine dining they are elsewhere in San Francisco. Also, touristyshopping is close by to either.....but if you want to do major shopping you will want to go to other parts of San Francisco during your trip such as Union Square.

If you are looking for going to a big grocery store however frequently, the Tuscan Inn locaion is closer - if that is what you are looking at.

Both places have hosted wine bars at night - which is fun as well.

Many people stay in Union Square area - either of these hotels will work well if that is what you are looking for, but I tend to like the Argonaut more between the 2.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60713-d268533-…

Edited: 24 February 2013, 23:30
San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,736 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tuscan Inn vs Argonaut hotel

We have stayed at the Argonaut in the past and liked it. We liked the location of the hotel near the Cable Car turnaround, Girahdellhi (sp?) Square, and the Wharf. The room was large and we had a view of the Golden Gate Bridge. We will be staying there again in June. The only thing to be aware of are the parking fees. We will be parking in a garage on our own and walking to the hotel to save about $35 per night.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,097 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tuscan Inn vs Argonaut hotel

Have not stayed in either but looked in both and the Argonaut wins hands down on both ambience and location.

BTW the restauraunts in FW are not considered the best dining in SF. Get thyself to North Beach, Russian Hill, Union Street, Chestnut Street, Chinatown and Union Square for food. Heck, I'd rather eat in the Tenderloin than at most FW restaurants. There are only a couple in FW that I consider good and even those are a bit overpriced. At least one, McCormick and Kuleto's, offers nice views. It is a block from the Argonaut.

6. Re: Tuscan Inn vs Argonaut hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2014, 05:16