We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golden Gate Bridge Tolls and Rental Cars - good summary

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Golden Gate Bridge Tolls and Rental Cars - good summary

The official Golden Gate Bridge website has been updated this week, and talks about the upcoming "All-Electronic" Toll Collection starting later this month, and talks about specific Rental Car Companies and the specific rules and additional fees that will be charged if you fail to pre-pay for your tolls.

Here is the link with all the details for each Rental Car Company that is offering a "Tolling" program.

goldengate.org/tolls/rentaltollprograms.php

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
113 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Golden Gate Bridge Tolls and Rental Cars - good summary

Wow - thanks, Darkbeer, for the heads up. We'll be crossing the bridge in a rental car later this month (just once, southbound). It sure seems complicated, though, and I don't think I entirely understand, even after reading the details. So either I prepay $10/day to the rental car company (wonder if I can just do for the one day we will be passing through) or take the time to prepay the toll some other way before crossing. Geez.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Golden Gate Bridge Tolls and Rental Cars - good summary

Good question, each Rental Car Company is different... (Contact the specific company for the answer)

If you want to avoid the issue, Before you cross, pre-pay the toll.

goldengate.org/tolls/…onetimepayment

But you can't do it until you get the specific car, as it is based on the license plate.

Alas, as California is switching to more Toll pathways and eliminating human Toll Collection, it is a very confusing thing, especially if you plan to drive around the entire state.

Edited: 01 March 2013, 18:32
3. Re: Golden Gate Bridge Tolls and Rental Cars - good summary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2013, 20:31
Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,841 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Golden Gate Bridge Tolls and Rental Cars - good summary

It's not so bad, honestly. I've been to Florida twice, and there your only option is to pay that stupid "convenience fee" for every day of the rental...plus the tolls. At least the Golden Gate Bridge is offering a way out of those rental car scams!

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
13,309 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Golden Gate Bridge Tolls and Rental Cars - good summary

For visitors, even though this linked page says you must pay in advance, if you click the One Time Payment link, you'll see you can actually pay within 48 hours of the bridge crossing, as well. And the list of pay points is just for testing; there will be more by the time this goes into effect. Although I still don't see a firm date for the final conversion, it is supposed to be by April.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Golden Gate Bridge Tolls and Rental Cars - good summary

Note, read the rental car company policies, they say BEFORE you cross, as many of them are attached to the PlatePass system, and if you don't pre pay, the rental car company will charge the fee.

Based on the link in the OP, the following companies say pay before you cross going southbound.

Advantage

Hertz

Alamo

Enterprise

National

Avis

Budget

Dollar

Thrifty

Fox

Payless

Ace

Airport Van

E-Z

Penske

Rent-a-Relic

Ryder

Super Cheap

U-Haul

u-Save

Once again, the link with the FULL details...

goldengate.org/tolls/…onetimepayment

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
13,309 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Golden Gate Bridge Tolls and Rental Cars - good summary

Ah, I see -- the only way to keep the rental car payment system from being triggered is to prepay. That makes sense.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Golden Gate Bridge Tolls and Rental Cars - good summary

I should add, the rules are based on the Rental car company, and not the rules that are allowed for private vehicles. It looks like if you rent a car, you need to do it advance.

If you have a private vehicle, you can pay after following the Golden Gate toll policy.

But the rules and conditions are based on the rental car contract.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
13,309 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Golden Gate Bridge Tolls and Rental Cars - good summary

>>So either I prepay $10/day to the rental car company (wonder if I can just do for the one day we will be passing through) <<

I don't think that's a prepayment, just part of your rental car invoice. But what you want to ask the rental car company is will you only be charged for the day that the toll system was used, or is it $10 per RENTAL day. If it's per rental day, just prepay the actual toll (which you can do online, once you know your license plate) and avoid the rental car system completely.

If you think you're confused, imagine all the other visitors who haven't read TA and will have no idea what to do at the bridge when they find they can't pay. I envision at least a few accidents as people slam on brakes or pull over to go into the offices there.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,168 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Golden Gate Bridge Tolls and Rental Cars - good summary

ILoveLondon You say you are traveling this month. The new electronic toll will go into mandatory effect end of the month. If you are coming into SF before then, no need to worry -- just pay $6 in cash and cross. No need to check with your rental car company.

As with anything new, there will be confusion and then things will settle down as was said before.

By the way there is already a post on this before.