We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alcatraz booking site down

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cambridge
Level Contributor
112 posts
Save Topic
Alcatraz booking site down

Wanted to book tickets this weekend to Alcatraz as it is 90 days now till we visit only to find the site has been down the last couple of days. How quickly do the night tour tickets sell out? Does anyone have an idea when the site will be back up?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,104 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alcatraz booking site down

This is what the tickets link says on the Alcatraz website. You cannot get to the home page but you can to the tickets page to read this

For tickets, please call (415) 981-ROCK (7625), email us at info@alcatrazcruises.com or visit the ticket booth at Alcatraz Landing, on Pier 33 & The Embarcadero, in San Francisco, CA.

Summer tickets do sell 1-2 months or so in advance especially at night

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,104 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alcatraz booking site down

I meant that the night tour tickets do sell out faster than the day tours

The website is up now and has this mesage

We regret that the Alcatraz Cruises website is currently unable to process purchase transactions. The remainder of the website is available for schedules, pricing, FAQ's and other important information.

We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience. However, please feel free to email your reservation requests to info@alcatrazcruises.com. We will respond to your email request within 24 hours. Our reservation telephone line is also available at (415) 981-ROCK (7625), or visit the ticket booth at Alcatraz Landing, on Pier 33 & The Embarcadero, in San Francisco, CA to purchase tickets for the Alcatraz Island tour.

Please visit alcatrazcruises.com for further updates. Thank you for your patience and understanding as we reconstruct our ticket sales webpage. We appreciate your business and look forward to assisting you.

---

Perhaps they got hacked and found out and are fixing their website holes. Don't know. Their twitter account was silent as well. Since they are a monopoly and have a government contract I guess they dont care to communicate

Edited: 03 March 2013, 16:49
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
13,280 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alcatraz booking site down

>>Since they are a monopoly and have a government contract I guess they dont care to communicate<<

I disagree, Belo, since they did communicate the important issue... "the site is down and here's what you can do to buy tickets in the meantime."

I'm not sure a message that says, "Fred, our IT intern, wrote some bad code and didn't test it, so our site is down!" would really be useful information! (And knowing how rumors start, I can't wait to see how long it takes before someone here asks, "Is it true the Alcatraz web site was hacked?")

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,104 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alcatraz booking site down

Susan

Early this morning, I could not get to their website. Perhaps the OP had the same issue.

AC did not care to communicate using other mechanisms and social media which is my point -until the website was back up.

As far as my other comments wrt the site, I prefaced it with "Perhaps" and I "don't know" But trust me, I would be very careful about giving my credit card via a site like that until we know the facts. Have been in this web business too long to know this.

We can agree to disagree.

Edited: 03 March 2013, 18:40
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
13,280 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alcatraz booking site down

Belo, I understand their site was down, my "disagree" was with the need for them to communicate more than that simple fact and the available alternatives. Yes, it is possible the site was hacked and data compromised, as with any computer system. Although most of the stolen data stories I know of personally happened the old fashioned way... someone left a company laptop on a bus, burglars stole a computer, etc. Computers certainly don't make people any more honest!!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,104 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alcatraz booking site down

>>>my "disagree" was with the need for them to communicate more than that simple fact and the available alternatives.

Their website when I first checked this morning was a blank page -- In other words -- there was no info on their webpage - zilch - nada - nothing so there was NO communication on options or alternatives until they managed to get the content part of their site up .

There are other social media mechanism websites use today when they have issues but clearly AC did not and that is my point.

Outside of our disagreement, the main point is:

When a website says they are "reconstructing" the sales part of their site

I would be very vary.

My second point to advise visitors to NOT send any credit card info via the email to reserve tickets. I don't think they will require that but people sometimes do that and that is not a secure way to send credit card info

Edited: 03 March 2013, 19:59
7. Re: Alcatraz booking site down

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2014, 06:16