We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easiest way using public transportation to get from FW to...

Midwest
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Easiest way using public transportation to get from FW to...

1)California Academy of Sciences

2) Anchor Brewery and from there to Chinatown

What about transportation within GG Park? A friend recommended Beach Chalet Restaurant, but I'm not sure how we can get there from the Science museum. Is this an ok restaurant for kids?

Any kid friendly Chinatown restaurants and activity recommendations?

I will have two 5 year olds in tow.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
California Academy of Sciences
California Academy of...
5,306 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
55,877 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easiest way using public transportation to get from FW to...

The most fun way and it should be the fastest would be to take the F wharves street car towards market street and get off in Front of the Ferry Building and cross the Embarcadero and go underground to the MUNI station and take N Judah toward Ocean. Get off at 9th and Irving and then walk to the Museum. Plenty of folks will do the same at that stop

Anchor brewery with kids really ? Beach Chalet is ok with kids but if I were you I would just eat at the museum or across at the de Young -- 5 year olds will get hungry. You can take the 5 Fulton all the way west if you want to go to that restaurant.

Not sure what is a kid friendly Chinatown restaurant ? Anyone of the should be fine. Check out the top question -- they is a list of chinese food places

Have you used maps.google.com to get transit directions. They are quite good and you can always double check them here as technology does not use "common sense" at times and may make you go around in circles

Edited: 03 March 2013, 21:55
Mentioned in this post
The Embarcadero
The Embarcadero
827 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Midwest
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Easiest way using public transportation to get from FW to...

In regards to kids at the brewery...the rest our trip is planned around the kids...Monterey Bay Aquarium, science museum, etc. this is the one thing that my husband requested that we do so I think it's reasonable to accomadate his request.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
55,877 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easiest way using public transportation to get from FW to...

As a DH myself all i can say is lucky DH. LOL

My suggestion to get to the Anchor Brewery would be to go to the Embarcadero station and just take a cab from there (just outside the Hyatt) to the Brewery or just take it from your hotel instead of jumping buses to get to the Brewery

When are you coming to SF ? If after April 18th, Citypass may be a good option for you as it included the Monterey Aq

Edited: 03 March 2013, 22:31
Mentioned in this post
The Embarcadero
The Embarcadero
827 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easiest way using public transportation to get from FW to...

From Fisherman's Wharf you can walk west along the waterfront, through Aquatic Park and into Fort Mason. Down the hill at Fort Mason is the orgination of the 28-19th Ave bus. It's a quick trip (20 minutes or so) from there to Park Presidio Ave and Fulton.

Cross both streets and enter the Park through the Rose Garden. The large copper clad building in front and to the left is the de Young. Go to your left, around it and across the concourse to the Academy.

I always think not having to transfer makes an easier trip. And the 28 goes right up to the GG Bridge and stops at the south vista point. You could briefly get off the 28 and catch the next one. (If you do be sure to reboard a bus with the destination "Daly City BART" as the route uses that stop for both in- and outbound directions. (Be sure to get the 28 not the 28L if you want to go the bridge.)

Most dining in Chinatown is kid friendly. Great Eastern gets good mention here.

Check out the Fortune Cookie Factory on Ross Alley. Also the kite store on Grant Ave.

Edited: 03 March 2013, 23:00
Mentioned in this post
Fisherman's Wharf
Fisherman's Wharf
15,520 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Aquatic Park
Aquatic Park
59 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Cafe Mason
Cafe Mason
1,072 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Presidio Inn & Suites
Presidio Inn & Suites
220 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Rose Garden Inn
Rose Garden Inn
398 Reviews
Berkeley, CA
Great Eastern Restaurant
Great Eastern Restaurant
672 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
6,023 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easiest way using public transportation to get from FW to...

1. Take the F-Market & Wharves streetcar to Embarcadero, go underground, and catch the N-Judah Muni Metro to Irving & 9th.

2a. Walk to Ghirardelli Square and take the 19-Polk bus to Rhode Island & Mariposa.

2b. Walk to De Haro & 16th* and take the 10-Townsend bus to Pacific & Grant.

*Note: This stop is poorly marked. It is on De Haro just before the intersection. Look for yellow paint on the street.

3. Walk if you can; it's a nice park. If your kids are tired, walk out to Fulton Street and catch the 5-Fulton bus going west. Get off at La Playa & Fulton and then walk to the restaurant, which is inside the park across the street from Ocean Beach.

Mentioned in this post
The Embarcadero
The Embarcadero
827 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
The Metro Hotel
The Metro Hotel
530 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Ghirardelli Square
Ghirardelli Square
3,039 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Mariposa
Mariposa
California
6. Re: Easiest way using public transportation to get from FW to...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2014, 05:17