We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best shopping spots for shopaholic mum and 17 yo daughter !!

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
melbourne
Level Contributor
1,836 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Best shopping spots for shopaholic mum and 17 yo daughter !!

Staying at hotel Donatello for 4 nighs April 4-8 will be busy but daughter insisting on at least a half day shopping trip !! Hubby will probs be happy to sit In a bar and wait it out for us !!

In one morning or afternoon which strip of area do you locals suggest for us ? Daughter craves all the usual stuff . Myself I get lost and go to heaven in Macy's !!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best shopping spots for shopaholic mum and 17 yo daughter !!

Just cruise around Union Square and the Westfield Center. There is a Forever 21 and H&M in the area for your daughter. Also some new store with a Japanese name which I can't recall.

I'd suggest heading to a neighborhood for a more local and unique shopping experience but a half day won't be enough and it sounds like Union Square will serve your needs.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,168 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best shopping spots for shopaholic mum and 17 yo daughter !!

http://www.unionsquareshop.com/index.html has the whole list.

I do all my trendy shopping at the Uniqlo store -- It so just me -- That's the one Sal recommends ;-)

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best shopping spots for shopaholic mum and 17 yo daughter !!

My teen daughter & I stay in Union Square a few times a year so we can shop also. Powell has all the trendy places and the rest are located at the Westfield Mall. There isan Uggs store on Sutter - but I don't know if that appeals to you.

Make sure you stop by the Macy's customer service desk to get your vistor coupon giving you something like 10% off your purchases. Helps with the sales tax mostly.

If you like shoes we always have good luck wiht DSW which is right on Powell.

harrisonburg, va
Level Contributor
225 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best shopping spots for shopaholic mum and 17 yo daughter !!

What neighborhood do you suggest for local shopping?

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,603 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best shopping spots for shopaholic mum and 17 yo daughter !!

By "local shopping" do you mean shopping in the neighborhoods as opposed to Union Square? Hmmm.....even that is "local" shopping.

harrisonburg, va
Level Contributor
225 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best shopping spots for shopaholic mum and 17 yo daughter !!

Ramblin Sal stated above in his response, "...I'd suggest heading to a neighborhood for a more local and unique shopping experience ..." so I'm wondering what neighborhoods he would suggest for unique shopping.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
18,818 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best shopping spots for shopaholic mum and 17 yo daughter !!

Sal is of the female kind. There are several neighborhoods in SF with more "local" boutiques. The Hays Street area has some boutiques. But with only half a day you should stay around Union Square. There are unique boutiques in that area, esp. along Post Street east of Union Square.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best shopping spots for shopaholic mum and 17 yo daughter !!

If you had more than one day, you could hit up several different areas of the city, but Union Square will keep you very happy and busy.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,168 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best shopping spots for shopaholic mum and 17 yo daughter !!

The Mission, Hayes Valley, the Fillmore, Union Street (not square) and Chestnut Street also the Haight all have smaller Indie brand boutiques that carry footwear, clothing, jewelry and accessories from local and/or independent designers.

Clearly selection and prices vary based on the neighborhood but it is another way to shop if you are not in the "brand" name search. But as mentioned above, if you have just a few hours, then Union Sq would eb ok

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best shopping spots for shopaholic mum and 17 yo daughter !!

gcollins:

I'd suggest the aforementioned Hayes Valley. Also:

Union Street between Octavia and Steiner (Cow Hollow)

Fillmore between Jackson and Sutter (Pacific Heights)

24th and Noe (Noe Valley)

Castro up from Market (Castro)

Sacramento west of Presidio (Presidio Heights)

Valencia Street

Lots of shops and boutiques in these areas that aren't found anywhere else. Locally owned and ower run.

Chestnut Street from Fillmore to Divis is another but since the 89 quake they've allowed in Gap, Williams-Sonoma, Crate & Barrell and an Apple Store. So if you like a mix of chain and local the Marina has it.

For interesting grocery shopping: Clement Street from Arguello to Funston. And there are some interesting restaurants around Clement and 25th Ave. (A Mediterrean place, a soul food spot and a Gordo's taqueria.)