We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to SF!

CA
Level Contributor
405 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Moving to SF!

I'm looking for advice on which neighborhoods to search for an apartment. Would like to be close to grocery store, public transportation, shops and restaurants as I will not have a car. But I do not have to be right in the center of everything. I work from home so I don't want a noisy area...more residential. Any suggestions?

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,981 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to SF!

From a generic standpoint, you've just described about 1/2 of SF.

Also, be aware that while the absolute prohibition on "moving" threads is no longer in place on TA and are allowed if considered of general use to those visiting, it is possible this thread could be shut down at anytime. (If this occurs, you can try repost making it a little more generic, "going to be visiting for a long time, wondering about . . . . ")

Basically the entire city is within a short (couple of blocks) walk of public transit, so I don't think that should be your major concern (especially since you're not looking at a commute). Now that said, I don't think you should ignore it completely as there are areas that are better/worse from a transit standpoint; I just don't think it need be one of your top concerns.

Regarding grocery stores, you'll find that much of SF has corner "Mom & Pop" stores that people use to varying degrees for there shopping. Sort of the "oops, I'm out of eggs" thing. (Major shopping still be done at the larger grocery stores.) "Real" grocery stores are scattered throughout the city and for *many* neighborhoods will be a short walk and/or MUNI/cab ride.

To me the noise level, overall "vibe" you'd like and budget (which you haven't mentioned) are probably the larger issues.

I'd start by saying (from a noise & cost standpoint) you're probably better off looking west of Van Ness and/or South of Market (yes, I know it's a gross generalization . . .). A few neighborhoods you might want to look at include: Inner/Outer Sunset (ditto on Richmond), Castro/Noe Valley, Marina/Cow Hollow. by no means do I think those are the only ones meeting your criteria, they're just the first ones that came to mind, I'm sure others will chime in with *lots* of suggestions.

To help narrow things down, you might consider your opinions/desires regarding some additional information. Things like: budget, high/low rise, how much space you want/need, are parks/green space an issue, want restaurants/bars/shopping nearby (and to some extent "what kind"), "vibe" or feeling of the neighborhood you'd prefer, etc.

Hope this helps,

hlo

Mentioned in this post
Richmond
Richmond
California
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,958 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to SF!

This Bold Italic article has fun descriptions of the major neighborhoods:

thebolditalic.com/drewhoolhorst/stories/1958…

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,212 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to SF!

Don't know which part of CA you are coming from but most get a sticker shock wrt rental prices and then have to start making compromises. if you don't have to commute then pretty much, stay close to a streetcar line (just faster than buses) and if you like to do something like jogging or biking or hiking, that may also dictate where you stay.

look at craigslist and apt rental sites and then you can narrow it down based on your likes and your budget

Edited: 08 March 2013, 20:33
sf
Level Contributor
3,590 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to SF!

HLA has very good points, especially about budget and whay you can live with. Also factor in your age( you didn't mention a range), and whether you want to be near clubs , restaurants etc.

The other factor is a new place vs old, and size of appt. Most new construction is South of Market(SOMA), also a lot of Lofts in this area.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,118 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to SF!

Apartment hunting is quite a competitive sport at the moment.

Be prepared with copies of your up to date credit report, all your old living residence referral addresses and landlords' phone numbers, and financial information. If they take your application, you'll also have to pay them a credit report fee at the time you turn it in, which should be immediately after you decide you like the apartment, and not hours later.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
19,077 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving to SF!

And beware of various scams targeting our desperate renters... people claiming to own a place and collecting deposits or rent when they actually have no right to do so, landlords requiring a deposit to hold an apartment before a lease is signed. See this article for some precautions: …curbed.com/archives/2012/11/13/keep_your_wi…

Also, before committing, ask us about the exact location.

(Edited to add that this is relevant to vacation rentals as well...)

Edited: 08 March 2013, 23:17
CA
Level Contributor
405 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moving to SF!

I'm thinking a vacation rental might be the way to go for now. Then I can get a feel for the different areas. Looking for a 1br in the 30-something neighbor with shops and restaurants within walking distance. New is nice but i would prefer older building with modern updates. Oh yes, and all for $2k month or less...prefer less.

Edited: 09 March 2013, 02:39
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moving to SF!

A 1 bedroom for $2k ... good luck. More like $3k. At least in a neighborhood that isn't 45 minutes from downtown.

You have choicees:

1) Be happy with an outer Sunset or outer Richmond neighborhood

2) Give up space and look for a studio

3) Check out roommate options

4) Check out Oakland or Berkeley. It's a faster commute than from the outer Richmond or Sunset (although I hear that the Outer Sunset is becoming an 'in' area since the Mission got so expensive).

Mentioned in this post
Richmond
Richmond
California
Oakland
Oakland
California
Berkeley
Berkeley
California
CA
Level Contributor
405 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moving to SF!

What about SOMA area? is it safe?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Moving to SF!

Go back and read #8. It's applicable to SOMA.

Perhaps you should start checking Craigslist and/or vrbo and see what the price realty is.