We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

late rental car return union square

california
Level Contributor
461 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
late rental car return union square

I plan to rent a car and return it in the evening near Union Square. All of the rental places seem to close at 6 PM. It will cost me $50 in hotel parking to return the car the next morning. Does any company accept after hour returns?

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
17,029 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: late rental car return union square

Where are you renting the car from? If renting from the same location, they will sometimes have arrangements for on-site overnight parking (which will be less than the hotel), you can drop off the keys somewhere and they'll just fetch the car the next morning. Try Dollar or Enterprise.

california
Level Contributor
461 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: late rental car return union square

Pick up at SFO. No 0ne indicates a late drop off. Dollar allows a free overnight usage, but the issue is parking.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: late rental car return union square

If you can pick up in the city, these folks offer a late night drop off near Union Square: http://www.cityrentacar.com/

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: late rental car return union square

Call the companies you're considering using. Ask them. I'm sure you not the first one to ask. I've seen companies with after-hour drop-offs, but mainly at airports (i.e. smaller airports where rental outlets aren't open 24/7), and I'd hesitate to return a car without anyone seeing it and giving me my receipt, in case they say there was damage.

United States
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: late rental car return union square

The Hertz office at 325 Mason Street allows drops until midnight. There is also Hertz at the Marriot Marquis hotel that says drop-offs are allowed if you hand the keys to the valet attendant...........but you would have to trust the valet attendant not to bomb around in your car all night!

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: late rental car return union square

And you'd be responsible for any damages that you say occurred after you left off the car. I'd phone the location directly (which is what Avis recommendds in their FAQs).

Center Point, IA
Level Contributor
114 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: late rental car return union square

We are using City Rent-a-Car, the one Sal suggested. They do not have a SFO location, but will pick us up at our hotel to get the car the morning we need it. They offer late night drop-off near Union Square, and the $10 drop fee includes a ride to nearby hotels. They have a great choice of rentals--we are renting a Mini Cooper S for our drive up to Napa.

california
Level Contributor
461 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: late rental car return union square

hertz says by phone that : a) 325 Mason accepts returns until 730 PM, and b) the JW Marriott is not a return locationl. Is it different if I actually go there?

california
Level Contributor
461 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: late rental car return union square

We arrive at SFO in the AM. I plan to rent a car, visit friends in Santa Clara County and return the can near the hotel, near Union Sq in SF. The hotel overnight parking fee ($50) is close to the car rental fee. Is there a better way

United States
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: late rental car return union square

Regarding Hertz, I was going off the location information that is noted on their website. Did you call the 800n Hertz number or directly to the Mason Street location?