We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommend any Hotels?

Winchester, UK
14 posts
Save Topic
Recommend any Hotels?

Me and a friend are coming to San Fran on the 3rd Aug for 4 nights. Never been there before so I'm trying to get an idea of the best place to stay.

Fishermans Wharf seems to be good - anyone know of any good hotels (not too pricey!)

Would people recommend staying in the one hotel or spend a couple of nights in two different parts of the city...

We're then heading down to LA and have a couple of nights to kill en route - where would be cool places to stop on the way?

Any advice would be great!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,441 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommend any Hotels?

In the Wharf area, The Argonaut and Tuscan Inn get a lot of good comments. The Radisson and Sheraton are also mentioned frequently. However, I would consider staying in Union Square.

As far as moving hotels, I wouldn't. The City is small enough that it is not necessary, and to me, the time and inconvenience to move hotels would not be outweighed by any benefits.

Assuming you are going down Highway 1, Monterey-Carmel are always popular spots, so a night there would be good. Santa Barbara after Hearst Castle would be another choice for a night or two on the way to LA.

Do a couple of searches on your question topics and you will find this has been discussed a lot.

Inverness, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommend any Hotels?

Paul, in 2003 I spent 9 days in SF and split my time between two hotels: 4 nights at the HI Express at the Wharf and 4 nights at the Kensington Park Hotel, near Union Square.

Whilst there was nothing wrong *at all* with the Kensington Park, I wished I'd stayed at the HI Express. I did not care for the Union Square location at all. (This is not a popular view or one shared by many locals ...)

I've recently been back to SF and opted for the HI Express again. I booked directly with them, via their website:

The distance between the Wharf and Union Square is negligible, but the vibe is quite different.

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommend any Hotels?

For four nights, you should stay put in one hotel. The city is not that big, and there's no point in packing up and moving when you could be sightseeing.

As SnowFallingonCedars mentioned, the vibe is different in each of the locations that tourists tend to stay. There's no one place that is "best," it just depends on your criteria and your druthers as a tourist.

WesTyler suggested doing a search using some of the keywords you've mentioned. Think of the things you want in a trip and pair that with "hotel" to see what you come up with. There was much discussion over Fisherman's Wharf versus Union Square sparked by Don512, a traveler a couple months back, so use his name in your search. Also use the words "trip report" and that may help uncover some interesting details about what others have done.

As for your route down to L.A., most people take the coastal route at least part of the way. The advice is endless, and once again, you'll need to know yourself to decide a plan. Yes, here it comes again: Do another search, and try doing those searches on the Los Angeles and California forums. Try the words "itinerary" and "coast."

Searching is an art, but you can find a lot of good advice, even with rudimentary skills. The reason why I suggest this is because your question recurs all the time. People answer it all the time, but not necessarily with the detail each time. It just depends. Very general, open-ended questions yield very general answers. For example, no one ever asks for recommendations for bad hotels. Everyone wants a good hotel (imagine that!). Many people don't want a hotel that is "not too pricey," and smaller numbers of people want the most high-end expensive hotels. So, there are a lot of answers out there that you will find when you search using words that represent the things that are important to you for your trip.

Winchester, UK
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommend any Hotels?

Thanks very much for all of this guys.

Just thought I would post my question as a starting point....

now I'm off to do those searches!!

Sunderland, United...
Destination Expert
for Sunderland
Level Contributor
6,817 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommend any Hotels?

I stayed in the HI Express two years ago and am doing so this year. When choosing the hotel initially, I didn't know anything about any areas at all, and it was purely pot luck! It was a great hotel, made better by the fact they do a very decent breakfast in with the price. I actually like the area...easy for transport links and the street the hotel is on is far enough away from the noise of the Wharf. Oddly enough, some neighbours of ours visited just before us and stayed in Union Square and did comment on the number of homeless people that had asked for money from them. I never encountered this at the Wharf...apart from one chap who had a sign saying " Why Lie? I want Beer ",and he gave us a laugh.

6. Re: Recommend any Hotels?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 18:21
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question