We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great dim sum & more!

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Great dim sum & more!

Hello All!

My boyfriend and I will be visiting San Francisco this weekend (5/25-5/28) and cannot wait to eat eat eat!!!

We won't have a car but will be staying at the Prescott Hotel so it should be close to everything.

We're looking for great authentic dim sum (I'm chinese) and other great places to eat. We're planning on eating at a couple $$$ restaurants and woudl love recommendations for great dim sum and any other restaurants. I heard SF is famous for dungenouss crab...is that true and where can I get it?

Thanks so much in advance!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Great dim sum & more!

Dim Sum:

Oriental Pearl

Y Ben

Special Ocassion:

Gary Danko

Fleur De Lys

Boulevard

Ana Mandara

I would also recommend the Slanted Door for lunch. Very good food and great views.

For crab, check out the Swan Oyster Depot on Polk Street. Fresh crab, oysters and great clam chowder. A word of advice though: if you go, you'll want to go early (do it for lunch). If you don't go early, there can be quite a wait!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,265 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Great dim sum & more!

Some of the best and most authentic dim sum is, of course, in Chinatown. New Asia is pretty good. Actually, some of the "fast food" places in Chinatown have even better dim sum!

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great dim sum & more!

Also try Tian Sing, off Union Square on Cyril Magnin Street and Ellis Street. It's on the higher end side, but it's good.

You should know that the Dungeness crab season is just about finished. You can probably still find crab, but it just doesn't taste the same as it does at the peak.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,588 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Great dim sum & more!

Here's what I know for dim sum:

Yank Sing and Ton Kiang are the best, well-known ones, but people will argue that you can get just-as-good but cheaper dim sum at other places. If you're near Chinatown, Pearl City and City View Restaurants are good. You can check out this website for their top 10 list:

…citysearch.com/bestof/winners/dim_sum

And this list:

http://sfsurvey.com/rr.asp?rest=Dim%20Sum&n=r

For pricey restaurants, the ones mentioned are good. You can also try Michael Mina, 5th Floor, or the Dining Room at the Ritz Carlton, or Aqua or Farallon if you like some expensive seafood. You can also check out these lists:

…citysearch.com/bestof/winners/special_occas…

…citysearch.com/bestof/winners/power_lunch

…citysearch.com/bestof/…upscale_casual_dining

For dungeness (sp?) crab, other than restaurants at Fisherman's Wharf, you can try Thanh Long or Crustacean. I'm sure there's more places for dungeness crab, so others can give their suggestions.

If you want to search for any kind of SF restaurant and reviews, check out www.sfsurvey.com.

5. Re: Great dim sum & more!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 20:20