We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this itinerary possible?

N Ireland
Level Contributor
45 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Is this itinerary possible?

Hi - this is my first post so apologies in advance for any mistakes. irstly I would like to thank everyone who posts as it has proved a great help in planning our trip.

My boyfriend and I are flying into San Francisco mid June spending 4 days in the city then hiring a car. On the first day we are hoping to drive toward Carmel, then San Luis Obispo then staying overnight in Santa Maria.We are then heading to Santa Barbara, LA, San Diego and flying to Vegas for the last few days. I was wondering what is the best route to take as we have been told to take the 101 and from what I can gather from the forum this is the most scenic route to take. Is this drive from San Francisco to Santa Maria possible in a day?

Thanks

Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,128 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this itinerary possible?

The scenic route down the Pacific coast from Carmel to San Luis Obispo is actually route 1.You could get down to Santa Maria in a day but far better to have a night at Carmel or Monterey.

The 101 is a faster inland road which you would only use if you were in a rush to get south.

Ken.

N Ireland
Level Contributor
45 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this itinerary possible?

thats great thanks - think I was getting confused between route 1 and 101 - hopefully it will be alot more straightforward when we get there - thanks again

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,860 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this itinerary possible?

SF to Santa Maria via 101 takes about 5 hours. Add 4-5 more via 1. You WILL want to make some stops, as well. Santa Maria is nothing special. Consider stopping at Pismo Beach or Cambria (maybe visit Hearst Castle), instead. Santa Maria to Santa Barbara is a little over an hour. That's another site worth exploring. Hwy 1 is the most scenic, but has lots of curves. I think it's worth the extra time and driving effort.

Portola Valley...
Level Contributor
163 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this itinerary possible?

It depends if its foggy on the coast road. If you have to do between Salinas and San Luis Obispo on Rte 101 inland instead of the more scenic Rte 1 on the coast then stop at Fort Hunter Liggett and old mission and see the mission near Salinas. Also the Steinbeck museum in Salinas.

I'd only do this if the coast road was foggy.

N Ireland
Level Contributor
45 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this itinerary possible?

Thanks - I think we will take 1 and put in that extra effort - it will be our first day driving so we should be enthusiastic and motivated! I have read in other post about places like Pismo etc and it would be a shame not to stop off in those places so I think we will do that route - Santa Maria was really just a place to sleep we had no plans to do or see anything there. The following day we are driving to Santa Barbara and spending a few days there.

Thanks again

6. Re: Is this itinerary possible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 02:18