We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

16 Days - landing at LAX

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
16 Days - landing at LAX

Hi. Myself and 2 daughters (12 & 10) are travelling into LA in late September after almost a week in New York. We would like to fit in Disneyland, San Diego zoo, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon and maybe drive through to Yosemite and San Francisco if we can fit it in. I know time is short but we are used to long distance driving etc so that doesn't bother us.

Is it better to book all accommodation or be a little flexible if we are on the road a lot? It appears the time of year won't be too busy. Our flight is out of LAX and late on aSunday night.

Happy to get any input on routes, accommodation, sightseeing, cars etc - just about anything really?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 16 Days - landing at LAX

Do you not want to see LA? Is it just Disneyland and the Zoo? Well you can stay in Anaheim and make that day trip to the Zoo and then do the Grand Canyon and Vegas ( outside of CA) then via Lone Pine drive to Yosemite and San Francisco On the way down to LA, stop in Monterey and Pismo and then LA

Most would suggest 3-4 days each in SF, LA, SD and 2-3 in Anaheim for Disneylandnand a couple of days in Yosemite. But you can plan it the way you like Please read the top questions on the CA forum. For cars. Check www.carhire3000.com

It is always best to book in advance rather than waste time looking. Yosemite gets booked a year in advance

Edited: 21 March 2013, 13:26
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 16 Days - landing at LAX

Forgot to add that you posted in the SF forum. But since you are going all around CA, please look at the California forum top questions and then paste you first draft itinerary. Say LA-2 days, Anaheim -2 days. And so on.

We work best when visitors do some research and then come up with their first itinerary and we can provide input. Maps.google.com can help you with routes

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 16 Days - landing at LAX

Thanks. THinking - LA 2 days, Anheim 2, San Diego 2, Sedona1, Grand Canyon 2, Las Vegas 3, somewhere like Mammoth Lakes 1, Yosemite 2, San Francisco 3 and 1 night back along the cost before leaving LA.

Open to all suggestions though,

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 16 Days - landing at LAX

Let us know if you have specific questions about SF after reading the Top questions on the right. As I mentioned this is the SF forum

As far as your itinerary goes, with a family, I personally would skip vegas but perhaps you want to visit it but 3 days with kids seems too long. The other places you are planning to visit are all fine but remember you are spending a lot of time driving By the way your itinerary does not add up to 16 days. More closer to 19

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 16 Days - landing at LAX

there are a lot of events in sept. so the prices of hotels can be very high. you may want to check your dates first. and then plan to come when the rates aren't as high.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 16 Days - landing at LAX

Thank you everyone. Very informative and useful and will follow advice.

One other question, driving to the sorts of places mentioned, is there a difference between going clockwise or anticlockwise - is one way better than the other?

Thanks again.

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,839 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 16 Days - landing at LAX

That's a lot of time in the car you will be spending and I assume you will get tired ?

Five years ago with twos kids 12 & 14 we covered 7 cities in a month ( average of 4 per city 5 in some 3 in others ) and we got pretty tired . We had some down time in th middle in Miami relaxing on the beach . I don't think we could have made it without the rest time . But you will know best what you are up too and your travel style

Sometimes trying to fit too much into your itinerary can detract from the experiences you are having

I would have thought September would still be high season ? I wouldn't want to travel with kids without hotel bookings ? Most hotels have cancellations within 24 hours so I would pre book and cancel if and when required along the way

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,457 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 16 Days - landing at LAX

September has some of our best weather and is a popular time to travel. I wouldn't leave home without reservations made for lodging. Who wants to go from place to place at the end of the day looking for a hotel?

You'll want to find some places with swimming pools so your teens can swim. Good to look in advance so you can find what suits your family in certain cities.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 16 Days - landing at LAX

I'm also already counting 19 days now instead of the 16 days you mentioned before. Do you have that long? San Diego to Sedona already is an all day drive so no much time for exploring Sedona. Maybe next day before the drive to GC (take the east entrance from Sedona first and to Las vegas leave via its south entrance.) Later in october sometimes Tioga pass already temporarily close if there's a snowstorm.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 16 Days - landing at LAX

Thanks for all the advice. We do have a few days up our sleeves that we were thinking about spending in LA.