We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westin St Francis/Grand Hyatt/Omni? Christmas young children

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
455 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Westin St Francis/Grand Hyatt/Omni? Christmas young children

Hi

we are an Australian family visiting SF over Christmas for 7 nights and we have decided to stay in town, last year we stayed at Fairmont Ghiradelli, and we are looking at these hotels. They are a similar price and rooms would be:

signature room at Omni (no breakfast)

2 double with breakfast at Grand Hyatt

2Q deluxe tower Westin St Francis.

I am open to other suggestions and have also looked at Four Seasons, Intercontinental, Argonaut, Palomar, the Fairmonts, St Regis...

I would have liked somewhere with an indoor pool but FS, St Regis are 4x the price of the other hotels and as we wont really be there much as we will be out sightseeing I cannot see the value on this particular trip.

I would also love some advice on which restaurant you would recommend on Christmas Day please. We are open to a buffet or a la carte, but our children will be 4 and 6 but they do love dining and travel, but not somewhere like French Laundry iykwim?

Thanks

C

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westin St Francis/Grand Hyatt/Omni? Christmas young children

To be as you put it in town would be to stay during Christmas ON Union Square - it is the best place in the city during the best time of the year. So that would mean the St. Francis or the Grand Hyatt. The Hyatt has its rooms renovated so that would be nice place to stay in . The tower at the Westin is nice as well but with breakfast included and the rates being the same, I guess go with the Hyatt. I cannot speak to the rooms myself as I have not stayed there so please do read reviews as well, here on TA and check recent photos before you decide. One option to look at photos is www.oyster.com but I don't know if they have the latest Hyatt photos or if the photo were taken before the renovation.

As far as restaurants go, just too early to tell. Please wait until end of Nov when the menus start getting posted and you can reserve a table and check menus at www.opentable.com

Edited: 28 March 2013, 21:39
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
13,516 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westin St Francis/Grand Hyatt/Omni? Christmas young children

The Omni is in the business district, so I would think it will be very quiet before, during and after Christmas Day. If you want the excitement of the major shopping area, our public holiday tree (and menorah) in Union Square, holiday lights and so on, then you have to stay at the Westin St. Francis or the Grand Hyatt. The Westin will be a more traditional hotel, the Hyatt has a more modern, social lobby.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Westin St Francis/Grand Hyatt/Omni? Christmas young children

I hear they have a great staff and some very helpful people at the Grand Hyatt. !!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,561 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Westin St Francis/Grand Hyatt/Omni? Christmas young children

Everything else aside, I'd go for the Queen beds over the Doubles.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Westin St Francis/Grand Hyatt/Omni? Christmas young children

I would go for the St. Francis. They decorate for the holidays, exude the spirit and are right on Union Square. The St. Francis displays a giant ginger bread house in the front foyer and has so much San Francisco history I really enjoy the feel when I walk in at Christmas time.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,210 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Westin St Francis/Grand Hyatt/Omni? Christmas young children

As much as I am a bit of a fan of the Grand Hyatt I have to agree with Wes_Tyler.

They really do the St Francis up well for Xmas as does the Fairmont Nob Hill but that's not Union Square.

With all the history and charm and Xmas as well I choose the St Francis.

Level Contributor
34,451 posts
889 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Westin St Francis/Grand Hyatt/Omni? Christmas young children

The location of the St. Francis is great. We really enjoyed our meal at The Grand Cafe @ The Hotel Monaco in Union Square. Happy Travels! :).

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Westin St Francis/Grand Hyatt/Omni? Christmas young children

The hotel Monaco is NEAR Union square but not in or ON Union square Just to clarify so that people don't take it literally. It is the Union square area for sure

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Westin St Francis/Grand Hyatt/Omni? Christmas young children

I think SFimporter's point about have 2 queens over 2 doubles may be a better reason to get the St. Francis. Just my opinion, but everyone can see the lobby and decorations and eat in the restaurants there or have a drink at the bar (sans kids) without staying at the hotel. But with family I would pay more emphasis on a good nights sleep and a comfortable larger room than the lobby.

Australia
Level Contributor
455 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Westin St Francis/Grand Hyatt/Omni? Christmas young children

Thankyou all for your help with this.

When I went to book the St Francis on their site rather than another 3rd party site it stated that there were double beds rather than queens..so the bedding is now a moot point.

The Nikko has now also come into play due to it's proximity to Uniion Square and having a pool...

Is the Fairmont a long way from the action? I will check out the Monaco as well. Is it really noisy at night on Union Square?

SF looks so beautiful at Christmas time; I have been doing heaps of research and just cannot wait!

Also, do they keep the Christmas tree/ice skating rinks etc up after the 25th as well? We may not be arriving until the 23d so will need to cram in lots before the 25th that's relevant to Christmas and the holidays.

C