We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation - From airport and around town

STUART, FL
Level Contributor
282 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation - From airport and around town

What is the best way to get to hotel (Hilton Towers near Union Sq)from the airport? Is the Bart too much of a hassle with luggage? Are there reasonable priced shuttles?

Also around town, is it worth it to get the muni pass or city pass? I know we want to ride cable car at least once, and some places are too far to walk, but we do tend to walk alot in cities(although both of us are having foot problems now, so who knows). Is SF an easy walking city?

California
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation - From airport and around town

I've seen visitors on BART with two full sized checked in suitcase rollers. If you are coming into the city during commute hours, avoid BART as the patrons will give you dirty looks. If you are late morning till 3pm or after 7pm, I'd say BART it. Regarding the Hilton, you need to use reference streets such as Offarrell and Powell and then walk two short blocks. If you approach from Market St, stop at the Cable Car turn around and walk on Powell till Offarrell. Do not pass Fifth Street unless you want to see some werid stuff.

SF,CA
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation - From airport and around town

The best way to get to your hotel is to take your hotel's own Hotel Shuttle from the airport for free. You can get a taxi which will cost about $35 from SFO to downtown. Supershuttle costs about $21 including a small tip but they tend to be late and carry 8 passengers and drive like crazy until u vomit. There are private taxis that dont advertise and cost about $30 email me for details. SF is a great walking city but be prepared to walk fast, up hills, and on uneven pavement. Start with your newest shoes if you have foot problems. Put some insoles in your shoes called "Sof Soles" which cost $10.

Mentioned in this post
SuperShuttle
SuperShuttle
19 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,441 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation - From airport and around town

Downtown hotels do not operate their own shuttles. Taxi will be about $35 + or - and the shuttle can be as low as $13 per person round trip. Check out www.sfovan.com

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation - From airport and around town

Downtown hotels do not have shuttles as GM stated. If there are 2 or more of you, just take a taxi. It's no fun lugging your luggage 2 -3 blocks to your hotel.

Also, as a tip, ask for a room in tower 2 at the Hilton. (Newer tower) and tip your Doormen/Bellman!

Have a great time!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation - From airport and around town

Airport hotels have shuttles --downtown hotels do *not*. I am not sure where that information came from.

Personally, I am a fan of convenience and thus, that would rule out BART for me personally. However, if you are on a strict budget, it is only $5.15 a person, but it isn't my first choice. The others pretty much gave you the run down on how to get to your hotel so I won't reiterate that.

If you plan to ride the cable cars more than 2 times, definitely get the MUNI pass. The cable cars are $5/per person each time you get on, there are no transfers, so as you can see, it adds up quickly. The MUNI pass also includes other MUNI vehicles, however they are only $1.50 and transfers are allowed within 90 minutes. That won't add up nearly as quickly so if you are not riding the cable cars often, it may be best to pay as you go. San Francisco is easily explored on foot and public transit!

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation - From airport and around town

There are both Muni Passports and CityPasses.

The Passports are sold in 1, 3, and 7-day passes for unlimited transportation on SF Muni. sfmuni.com/cms/…passports

The CityPasses are 7-day passes to use SFMuni and a bunch of attractions. Generally, they're only worth it if you were planning to go on those atrtractions, anyway. sfmuni.com/cms/…citypass

If you have kids, there are youth passes. And seniors can ride senior passes:

sfmuni.com/cms/mms/fares/fareinfo.htm#passes

Lastly, there are weekly passes for $15 that start on Monday and end on Sunday. You pay $1 to ride the cable car, in addition. This is good if you are traveling M-Sun, but not if you arrive on a Friday or a Saturday, for instance.

Memphis
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation - From airport and around town

Are there places, (like the airport - we're coming into San Jose) where you can buy Muni passes? I went to their website and to Fed Ex them would be about $25.00. I wondered if there was a brick and mortar place or a kiosk or something like that where they can be picked up when we arrive.

Mentioned in this post
San Jose
San Jose
California
California
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation - From airport and around town

sfmuni.com website has a link for this. To buy your passes, 7 days a week at Powell and Market cable car ticket booth 8:30 am to 8:30pm. There are other locations, however they may not be open on weekends. Looks like the Caltrain station at 4th and King Sts also sells the passes. Check the link, nothing outside of San Francisco.

Overland Park Kansas
Level Contributor
417 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation - From airport and around town

Can you buy the city pass in SF or can you even buy it at the Oakland airport. We are coming in through that airport and staying along Van Ness or in Cow Hollow/Lombard street area. I also heard you can buy it at the first attraction you visit.

Thanks !!

Mentioned in this post
Oakland
Oakland
California
Memphis
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transportation - From airport and around town

I saw where you were talking about on the sfmni site. When you get to the page about how to buy the pass, click on vendors. It will give you a list of place you buy can the passes. I think the best place, for us, will be the civic center location.