We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cable car question

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Topic
Cable car question

During busy times is it ever not possible to catch the cable car at Powell and O'Farrell? I suspect that they will just keep passing me by if they start at Powell/Market station. I would think they would still be pretty full ( I don't want to hang on the side) I understand I can walk to the Powell station at the turn around and get in line but I would prefer not to. So what do you experts think?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cable car question

The cars do not generally leave the turnaround full to accommodate riders up the line (these are part of city transit, not Disney rides). Especially if you are not looking for an outside seat or don't mind standing inside I would think that a party of one should mostly likely be able to get on easily.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cable car question

oh ok, good to know, I assumed they filled right up. party of 2 and yes I will stand inside not outside.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,971 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cable car question

I often see passengers being picked up at Sutter Street, in front of the Sir Francis Drake Hotel, which is 5 blocks up from the turnaround.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cable car question

good to know. we want to go to the mark for a drink. maybe we'll just walk and hope to be picked up before the bigger hills!

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
14,544 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cable car question

No, don't keep walking, they get more full as they head toward Nob Hill. Wait at the first stop (O'Farrell and Powell) and you'll be fine. 'Puter, during the summer, you can frequently not get on at Sutter (or even Post or Geary).

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,548 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cable car question

Good things come to those who wait. Everyone asks if they can get on at Union Square and as you read it is hit or miss depending on time of day, season and how persistent you are.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,338 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cable car question

I can't remember ever having a problem boarding at Powell and Post or Geary for two people.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,856 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cable car question

I've had very bad luck trying to board cable cars at Union Square. I don't even try, anymore.

San Anselmo...
Level Contributor
449 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cable car question

It is been a long while but I always was ok if I was willing to ride on the step outside in the front. Watch out and hang on of course. And to the OP I almost never tried to catch the cable car at the Powell and Market turnaround. The blocks between there and Union Sq. are usually ok if you don't want a seat. Stay out of the way of the conductor/breakman if you are standing in the back.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,338 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cable car question

simba_8 has also had trouble boarding buses, streetcars, Bart.

Some bears never learn.