We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Las Vegas ~ San Fransisco Drive/Advise

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
4,765 posts
332 reviews
Save Topic
Las Vegas ~ San Fransisco Drive/Advise

We will be travelling by car/minivan from, Las Vegas to San Fransisco (Hotel Serrano)...We need to drive as we will have our dogs with us! We would like to do the drive in 1 day, leaving Las Vegas on a Friday and returning on a Monday or Tuesday. Any advise as to the drive,real time, traffic, best route, best stops to rest,eat, stretch & walk the dogs, (or anything else!) etc....would be greatly appreciated. I will also post this in the Las Vegas forum. Thanx in advance for your advise and opinions.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,432 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Las Vegas ~ San Fransisco Drive/Advise

If you are going between the cities then check the CA forum Top Questions for the drive and use maps.google.com to map the route. It is a long drive no point posting the same question in 3 forums.

Cuenca, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for California Desert
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Las Vegas ~ San Fransisco Drive/Advise

Hello, larilu, and welcome to the San Francisco forum.

Drive time is 8 hours, 18 minutes and 571 miles according to Bing Maps. That's without any stops, and give you an average speed of ~70 miles an hour driving. That's about right going through the Mojave Desert and the San Joaquin Valley on your way to the City by the Bay. One day is doable. . . I've done it many a time for my driver supervisor while I was a tour coach driver for international tourists on extended tours.

Leaving LV on a Friday is cross traffic. The traffic comes *into* Las Vegas, and you're leaving. Good! Same deal coming back. You will be coming cross traffic as far as getting out of San Francisco and getting into Las Vegas is concerned.

Advice: it's a boring drive given the time constraints. From Las Vegas, take Interstate 15 south to Barstow, where you take CA Route 58 west to Bakersfield. In Bakersfield pick up CA Route 99 north to CA Route 46 west to Interstate 5 north. I-5 north to I-280 north which takes you through the SF East Bay suburbs. Then I-80 west through The San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge (toll) to San Francisco. Reverse this route on your return.

Favorite rest stops: From Las Vegas, go past the California Fruit Inspection station (no fruits or veggies brought into the state to protect our agriculture) to Barstow, and exit Main Street. There's a McDonald's at Barstow Station to the left (south), or turn right for cheap fuel at a couple of stations plus a Taco Bell and one of the very first Del Taco fast food restaurants, founded in Barstow itself! It's a California chain. . . far better than TB, 'cuz it has better prices and hamburgers and fries too! Check it out. Walk the dogs here.

Mojave also has fuel and restaurants (fast food and sit down) with good prices of late. Lots of places to walk the dogs. . . and you're just 30 miles north of moi at this point.

You'll most likely need to stop at Kettleman City on Interstate 5 past Bakersfield, where there's fuel and fast food (Jack in the Box and others). Walk the dogs here if you like. Los Banos is usually my last stop before San Francisco, with great prices on fuel relative to SF and fast food and restrooms. Walk the dogs here.

That's about it! You should be good to go with this information in your hand. Enjoy your travels while here.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,432 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Las Vegas ~ San Fransisco Drive/Advise

Underdog has some great info. Only thing is After I5 take the exit for I580 west which will take you through the East bay suburbs not 280 which you won't see

Cuenca, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for California Desert
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Las Vegas ~ San Fransisco Drive/Advise

Ack! Belo caught my goof. 580 it is. That is what I meant. . . (hides tail)

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
4,765 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Las Vegas ~ San Fransisco Drive/Advise

Underdog- Thanx very much, that is the exact info and comments i was looking for. Looking foward to this road trip! Thanx again!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
4,765 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Las Vegas ~ San Fransisco Drive/Advise

Underdog- Thanx very much, that is the exact info and comments i was looking for. Looking foward to this road trip! Thanx again!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
4,765 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Las Vegas ~ San Fransisco Drive/Advise

BTW- we have never tried Del Taco, even in Las Vegas! It will be interesting to compare it to taco bell which is all over the east coast, but nothing special! Any recommendations for breakfast spots along your route that serve breakfast 24/7, such as waffle house ?

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,836 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Las Vegas ~ San Fransisco Drive/Advise

Wow, that is a lot of driving for one or two or three day visit. I did not know that the Serrano is pet friendly, so I called. Good thing to know for friends who travel with pets. Good luck and drive carefully.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
4,765 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Las Vegas ~ San Fransisco Drive/Advise

Yes, The Serrano, and ALL Kimpton Hotels are Pet friendly!

Cuenca, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for California Desert
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Las Vegas ~ San Fransisco Drive/Advise

Hi, larilu. Glad you like my previous post's information. Thought you would. . . (grin)

Breakfast on this route: you're traveling through the Mojave Desert. Not a culinary mecca by any means of the imagination! No Waffle Houses along the way, sorry. Rachet the scale down a notch or two to be realistically satisfied. With that in mind, try Barbi's Primo Burgers (not affilliated with Primo Burgers in Palmdale or Lancaster) at 16862 California State Route 14, Mojave. It's on the northeast outskirts of town by the Stater Bros. supermarket north of the Mojave Air/Spaceport just off of Sierra Highway. Open 5 AM to 10 PM or later depending on tourist traffic, so not a 24 hour place. Very reasonable food prices, great breakfast (I love the breakfast burrito here) and great burgers and sandwiches. Hits the spot!

Should you be interested in something other than breakfast, I can easily recommend Domingo's Finest Mexican Food in Boron. Boron is after Barstow but before Mojave coming to SF. Eat where the Space Shuttle astronauts ate! No, I'm not making this up. . . Edwards Air Force Base is nearby to the south, and Domingo's was for years the first meal they would eat after landing from the journey from outer space. Excellent Mexican food all the way around, and the astronaut and flight test pilot photos on the wall add a nice touch to this desert oasis in downtown Boron. Fast and friendly service. One of a kind place that you couldn't invent if you tried! Here's the TA link: tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g32098-d66…