We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

san francisco

Boston...
3 posts
Save Topic
san francisco

hi

stopping in san francisco for one night on way to hawaii, any suggestions best location to stay?

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,161 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: san francisco

Time in and time out?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,347 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: san francisco

Best location is subjective Have you looked at the TOP Questions on hotels where to stay ? I would say Union square would be central

Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: san francisco

How long in SF? If ten to twelve hours between arrival and departure, you may as well stay at the airport and just get a meal and good sleep. Twenty or so hours go in to the City. If not too much luggage, take BART. I'd pick a hotel near Powell Street Station, make it easy, dump the bags, and then walk around a bit, maybe have a couple drinks, a nice meal, and call it a night - and then quick and easy back on BART in the morning.

The SF Marriott Marquis, Park 55, Palomar, Hotel NIkko, Hotel Abri, are nice and all quite close to Powell St.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: san francisco

Day of the week?

BART doesn't start operating until 8AM on Sundays so it's not an option if your flight is early on a Sunday.

Boston...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: san francisco

arrive on a friday morning leave saturday morning

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,720 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: san francisco

For such a short period I would probably point you towards a hotel near SFO and the BART. You can easily get transportation at SFO to get to the local hotel, and then just take BART to the main SF area.

Look for places in Burlingame or Milbrae.

It would make things easier as you wouldn't need to lug all your luggage onto BART and you would be close to the Airport for your HI leg.

Dr. Z

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
875 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: san francisco

Aren't there lockers at the airport to leave luggage?

Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: san francisco

<<For such a short period I would probably point you towards a hotel near SFO and the BART. You can easily get transportation at SFO to get to the local hotel, and then just take BART to the main SF area.>>

Yea, if luggage is an issue or your Saturday am flight is early this would be a good idea. If it were a later morning flight [and besides, coming from Boston, you’ll be up early your first morning in SF], were it I, I’d rather stay in the City.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: san francisco

<<Aren't there lockers at the airport to leave luggage?>>

ROF ... Lockers at public transit facilities such as airports and train stations are a thing of the post-9/11 past.

There is a luggage check facility at SFO at which luggage is x-rayed and there is a rather hefty charge for each bag based on its size. It is located in the Intl terminal.

And be glad for that ... there are many airports in the US where such a thing is not available.

10. Re: san francisco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2014, 06:16