We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 hotel choices, please advise

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
36 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
4 hotel choices, please advise

My husband and I are visiting in Nov for a conference. We will have our 2 kids age 11 & 12. We are going to get the City Pass to visit Alcatraz and other attractions. Which hotel do you suggest?

Marriott Marquis, The Palace, Courtyard by Marriot Downtown or Hotel Nikko. These 4 are on our list of discounted hotels for our convention.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,669 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 hotel choices, please advise

Do you have any criteria ? Have you read reviews ? I would say Palace being the grand dame of the city or the Nikko. The Marquis will be packed but it has a pool. The Pool in the Nikko is nice I hear. Forget the courtyard

It then comes to the room you get with four people Check www.oyster.com for photos of the rooms and sizes in those two hotels. If you get a suite at the Nikko, go for it

Location wise they are all fine except for the courtyard

Do check the top questions on the right side. There is a map with hotels and all the hotels are close to the convention center in the SOMA area except for the Nikko which is close but is just north of Market

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
36 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 hotel choices, please advise

I have read the reviews. We don't require much. We will be gone most of the day. Kids will like to swim when we come back for the night. I don't want to stay in a hotel that has a pool in the fitness center. I don't want the kids to bother those who are swimming for exercise.

We have a bunch of hotels to pick from but have narrowed it down according to the pools. I have looked at the maps but am just getting started.

Our plan is Alcatraz, The Wharf, Chinatown, CA Academy of Sciences, Aquarium of the Bay and Exploratorium.

I have been to SF before and stayed at the Villa Florence. I remember walking to Chinatown and taking the cable car to the Wharf. I didn't see anything else.

Any other suggestions for things to visit or not visit, please let me know.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,669 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 hotel choices, please advise

Read the top questions on what to see and do in SF there is one on what to do with kids. There are trip reports on the first post

Biking the GG bridge, rocket boat ride, Segway tours of GG park , go car rides, fire engine tour, Landsend trail

There is one map that shows the area and a TA map that shows the hotels. Between the two you should get the info you need. The Nikko or Palace IMHO would be my 2 to pick from

Edited: 26 April 2013, 19:45
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
36 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 hotel choices, please advise

Thank you for answering so quickly. I did see other hotels with outdoor pools. Is it warm enough to swim outside in the beginning of Nov?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,900 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 hotel choices, please advise

I would say that it's rarely ever warm enough to swim in an outdoor pool - especially at the end of the day. I'd definitely go with an indoor pool if you want use of it.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 hotel choices, please advise

I assume the conference is at the Moscone Center. We went through the same process for my wife, who's attending a conference in June. The Marriott Marquis would be closest, but you should ask just what type of room would be at the conference rate. The hotel seems to have some "non-view" rooms, which I feared might be interior or almost interior rooms. The Palace is nice, and a great place to eat even if you don't stay there, but the rooms are somewhat small. We ended up booking a room at the Parc 55 by Wyndham, a slightly shorter walk than from the Palace, where the rate I got using my AARP membership was less than the convention rate-- and for a better room. Nikko, very close to the Parc 55, was not on the conference list, and the online rates were higher.

Outdoor swimming in November??? I agree that even in the summer (when you can get more fog) would be iffy, but November is, even in SF, often cold.

Edited: 26 April 2013, 20:14
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,175 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 hotel choices, please advise

The Nikko Pool is on the top floor under an atrium roof, so it should be good in November. It does not seem to be in a fitness center at all. In fact, I have never seen one of those there, although there must be. The ordinary rooms are not very large, but I am sure they have a size which would fit. It is a nice hotel.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,605 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 hotel choices, please advise

Heck, where I live the pools close around Labor Day; about 2 months before what you're talking about.

No, short of Florida or other (obviously warm places in the US, which SF isn't), don't count in an outdoor pool in November.

Out of the hotels you've listed & wanting a pool in early November, I'd go with the Nikko. It's a good hotel, good location & indoor pool.

That's my $.02,

hlo

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 hotel choices, please advise

The one on your list to drop is the "Downtown" Courtyard by Marriott. It's south of Market, the blocks are long to get anywhere, there's not a lot of transit nearby and very few restaurants within walking distance.

10. Re: 4 hotel choices, please advise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2014, 05:16