We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best scenic tram route in San Fran

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
279 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic

San Francisco and Alcatraz Big Bus...
231 Reviews
from US$110.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Jail and Sail: Alcatraz Tour and...
467 Reviews
from US$108.00*
Alcatraz and San Francisco City Tour...
2,238 Reviews
from US$120.80*
San Francisco Alcatraz and...
119 Reviews
from US$112.25*
Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
10,389 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best scenic tram route in San Fran

If you're talking about the cable cars, it would be the Powell-Hyde line.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,674 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best scenic tram route in San Fran

Hi Lionel,

You might need to give a bit more information to get the best response (a please and thank you also wouldn't go astray).

Are you talking about the cable cars? If so, the Powell-Hyde line is very popular. It runs up Hyde Street allowing a good view of Alcatraz Island in the bay and across Lombard "the crookedest street in the world" and starts (or ends) near Ghiradelli Square (so you could fortify yourself or recover with a sundae).

These are cable cars and they are not the same as trams (take it from a Melbournian). The F-Market route which runs along the Embarcadero has trams (including a Melbourne tram), but I'm not sure I'd describe is as the best scenic route.

Have a look here for more information on the cable cars: http://www.sfcablecar.com/

Edited: 01 May 2013, 09:36
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best scenic tram route in San Fran

If you're talking about the MUNI streetcars, my favorite line is the J-Church, specifically between Market and 30th Street. You can get off at the top of Dolores Park and enjoy a great panorama of the city, or continue riding through Noe Valley.

San Anselmo...
Level Contributor
589 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best scenic tram route in San Fran

I have emotional reasons for suggesting the Historic F-Line, My first real girlfriend lived just a few blocks from a stop but that was in the Inner Sunset where this route no longer goes. Nothing quite like getting on a packed PCC car at the Transbay Terminal in anticipation of a pleasant night with the girlfriend.

I still think that is the best suggestion if the route is much changed. A warning from recent personal experience the cars can be quite crowded along the Embarcadero.

This is of course not knowing if the OP was referring to the Cable Cars or not. If the Cable Cars then the above suggestions of the Powell and Hyde line are correct. I would suggest if the traveler has time a tour of the historic ships on the Hyde St. pier would be highly recommended. Sit in one of the seats on the ferry and think of how pleasant a trip to work and home that might be. Be aware also that a stop at the top of Hyde St. can be breezy and chill.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
9,005 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best scenic tram route in San Fran

It's worth noting that OP could use Google Streetview and essentially "ride" each of the routes discussed (Cable Cars, F-Market or just about any other MUNI Streetcar route) and judge for them self which one they think is most scenic.

I think pretty much everyone agrees that the iconic Cable Car view (GG Bridge, Alcatraz, etc.) is indeed from the Powell/Hyde Cable Car line. The other Cable Car Lines do have views, but not the "icon" one. I think most would probably rank the California Line last. I think the F-Market has some merit as it follows the bay on the NE part of the city and runs down Market Street (giving views of the east bay, bay bridge, Ferry building and most of Market street). Beyond that, I don't think I would classify any route especially worth going out of the way because of the view (not to say there aren't some good views, just not certain I'd say any of them are worth a *specific* ride *just* for a generic view of SF in general; now if there was some specific view/place, etc . . .).

That's my $.02,

hlo

Edited: 01 May 2013, 19:03
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,312 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best scenic tram route in San Fran

My usual advise to new folks is to read the first couple of top questions on the right side of this SF forum web page. Why? Because there is an article on MUNI and it has photos of the cable car, the street car and for visitors it may be an easy way to differentiate them and also know what to ask because when someone asks for a tram in SF, you will get puzzling looks

For the cable car agree with HLO. Most people do need to understand that cable cars are MUNI transit options and not theme park rides. Go early, don't carry food or backpack, don't hang out and hold on. There are no seatbelts

For the streetcar we too like J and this was a few years ago when Dolores park playground was not that nice, we got off, kids played there a d we walked down to bi-rite for ice cream

Edited: 01 May 2013, 20:15
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
19,117 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best scenic tram route in San Fran

Also be aware that any cable car or streetcar scenery viewing may be limited by the number of people standing in front of you during peak periods on any of these lines. The cable cars and the F line can be pretty packed....

8. Re: Best scenic tram route in San Fran

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2014, 06:18