We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes

Regina, Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
54 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitoes

Hi everyone!

We will be in San Francisco at the beginning of June and I was just wondering if mosquitoes will be an issue. Thanks in advance for your help! :)

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitoes

No. It is not humid enough for mosquitoes here.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,630 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitoes

>>It is not humid enough for mosquitoes here.<<

There *ARE* mosquitoes in San Francisco and humidity has nothing to do with mosquito population (go to Alaska where mosquitos are a real nuisance).

That said, you are not likely to find any downtown or at Fisherman's Wharf but may encounter them in the parks or by lakes

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,981 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitoes

Might encounter is right, but they won't be a problem; certainly not anything like I expect you get at home.

Grew up in the midwest, where mosquitos can be a problem, before living in SF for ~7 years. I can honestly say that for all practical purposes there are no mosquitos in SF.

Not saying I never saw one or was bitten, but I don't ever remember it and, as you can imagine, that's essentially the same as there being none.

hlo

sf
Level Contributor
3,590 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitoes

There's some Mosquitos here, but like Sean said not where you're likely to be. Usually you'll only find them near lakes and streams, not at Fisherman Wharf or GGB- too much wind.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitoes

Mosquitoes can actually fly some distance from where they breed., and there are reservoirs, ponds, etc. in and around SF, and it really just takes a bit of standing water (even that in a discarded tire or that pooling on top of a building after a rain is sufficient; a small amount of standing water can be worse than a moving stream), but I agree it's not usually a problem in SF itself. That being said, there have been periodic problems even West Nile Virus.

-http://www.sfmosquito.org/wn_prevent.htm

-http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/san_francisco&id=8825938

-http://mosquitosf.com/

-http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100219014248AA0gP61

Edited: 03 May 2013, 18:53
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,630 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitoes

And lets not forget canine heartworm disease which is also transmissible by mosquitoes

Dexter, Michigan
Level Contributor
138 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitoes

Too cold.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,212 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquitoes

We are now going to get a post saying, they are sacred of coming to SF, with the Mosquitos, the very high crime rate, the Bed bugs, the homeless -- LOL Then someone posted yesterday the car radio of a friends car got busted thrice...... it makes it sound like we have the worst mosquito, homeless,crime, car busting problem in the world.

To them I say - Oh well What can I say

Another post asking as to what cream and spray they should bring when coming to SF.

Sean -- Alaska in July was a mosquito Fest -- what a contrast to their winters. LOL

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
186 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquitoes

Sorry, but I do not see anything wrong with the question. Why be snarky...

As someone who played in the Park and Rec softball league for years... Yes, there are mosquitoes in SF, particularly around dusk. Not a huge problem, but some people are more sentative to them than others. As Sean stated, you'll likely only encounter them around parks and lakes. Not too much to worry about, though!

Edited: 03 May 2013, 20:43
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,212 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosquitoes

you have not seen snark LD2 !!! I did not say there was anything wrong with the question.

My comment was about the answers -- we have links to mosquito sites, human canine xyz, west nile stuff -- and while most have said it is not a big deal in SF, I want to make sure that is what people take from it and not suddenly get paranoid about SF mosquitoes.

You want to see mosquitos, go to the east coast or to Alaska in Summer or to parts of Latin America and Asia almost year round -- compared to that, mosquitoes are not what one needs to worry about during a visit to SF.

Edited: 03 May 2013, 20:53
Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Asia
Asia
World