We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can anyone recommend a good car hire firm?

Paphos
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Can anyone recommend a good car hire firm?

I want to hire a car for around a week, picking up in San franscico and dropping off in San Diego. Having looked at reviews of car hire firms it seems they all have a bad reputation!

Could anyone recommend a firm based on their experience of hiring from them?

Norfolk England
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can anyone recommend a good car hire firm?

Hi

We rent every year and so far have not had any real problems with any of them. We have used Alamo, Hertz,Avis and Thrifty. Out of any of those, Thrifty would be my last choice. They had older cars and they charged us a drop off fee when they should not have. After chasing the agent we bought through (netflights) we did get a refund.

Clive

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,665 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can anyone recommend a good car hire firm?

Based on my personal experience in renting cars for over 25 years, I would stick to Hertz or Avis or Budget as they are Avis

Alamo and Enterprise are ok. But you may want to compare rates on their non US sites so as to get insurance included and no one way drop off fees. There are offices for these companies in SF so you don't have to go to SFO.

Carhire3000.com is a broker but one has to call them to book or else they don't tell you the company you have booked until after you prepay.

Please join hertz gold or Avis preferred to speed up your pickup

Edited: 05 May 2013, 16:37
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,007 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can anyone recommend a good car hire firm?

I use Hertz & Avis pretty much exclusively these days, but I do check rates with National too.

CarHire3000, which is part of TravelJigsaw, which in turn is part of Priceline.com

http://www.carhire3000.com/

On a side note, 7 nights from San Francisco to San Diego doesn't allow a lot of sightseeing time. You might run your overall itinerary past the CA Forums and get input on if it is feasible or better ways to do it.

Paphos
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can anyone recommend a good car hire firm?

Thank you very much for the replies. We will stick to one of the big firms recommended. Glad to hear some firms are ok! I'll look out our itinerary and share it to get some advice. We have some time in San Fran and then in San Diego at either end so hopefully it's not too rushed but I might have another look. Thanks again.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,665 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can anyone recommend a good car hire firm?

Happy to look at itineraries but before you post, do read the Top Questions in SF, California and San diego. 99% of what most people ask is already posted there -- what to do and see in SF and SD and the drive from SF to SD and where to stay enroute. Once you read through and come up with your itinerary you can post it on the Ca forum as that is where the Ca itineraries are best discussed.

If you have questions specific to SF, we can help you on this forum.

6. Re: Can anyone recommend a good car hire firm?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2014, 05:18