We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

California wineries how different from NY state?

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
California wineries how different from NY state?

Husband and I are planning a 5 day visit in September and am toying with the idea of doing a Sonoma or a Napa Valley wine tour. http://www.winecountrytourshuttle.com/ or www.sanfranciscotours.us/…

We come from the Finger Lakes which is wine country and we enjoy our yearly fall tours of one of the areas be it Seneca or Cayuga or Canandaigua lake.

How different are the wineries in California? rolling hills, big estates? historic mansions? that would be worth a day of our vacation to sightsee for a day.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,556 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: California wineries how different from NY state?

Great question!

For the most part the wineries are of the Spanish Mission look.... smaller style with a more stucco and red tiles than you would see in NY. Not for ALL of them but in general.

There are big estates also. One of the big differences would be the weather and surrounding areas. September can still be quite hot with coller evenings with virtually no rain. NY will of course have some incredible fall foilage sites with cooler weather and more chances of rain.

I think you will really enjoy the Sonoma / Napa area.......

One more thing.... you posted in the San Francisco forum.....is that part of your trip also?

Dr. Z

sf
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: California wineries how different from NY state?

To expand on Dr Z, there are some wineries in Napa that have long history and are quiet large like Mondavi, Krug, and Beringer, and small boutique operations. Sonoma tends to be calmer and more laid back with a lot more smaller operations. I personally prefer Sonoma, over Napa because it seems less rushed and less tour busses. Favorite vineyard-Cleine Cellars.

Edited: 14 May 2013, 20:24
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,685 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: California wineries how different from NY state?

Perhaps you should post in the California forum or if you are planning to do a valley, perhaps the Napa valley forum. Is the idea to do an architecture tour or are you into specific varietals or wineries and vintages that you are comparing about.

If it is the former, then perhaps you can view photos and read about the architecture and then decide which ones to visit, if the latter, then you may want to read wine guides to compare vintages

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: California wineries how different from NY state?

Thanks everyone.. yes I am visiting San Francisco , guess I should look through the threads in the general California forum or post there as suggested..:-)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,434 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: California wineries how different from NY state?

Definitely do go on the California forum.

I've done road trips over the back roads of NY state and mostly met potato farmers rather than vintners. Also, we've been to wineries in Washington, Oregon, Tennessee, Maryland and Arizona and you *truly* cannot compare other states' wineries to California. They are all unique but (IMO) California is the most varied and robust and abundant and exciting and adventurous. You will not be disappointed. There will be way too much to choose from.

Enjoy.

New York
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: California wineries how different from NY state?

Marly, I'm curious, what wineries are you referring to in NY? I am originally from the Finger Lakes region and we have some beautiful wineries that produce wonderful wine. Also, Finger Lakes have won many awards .

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: California wineries how different from NY state?

Marly , we won't have a car while in SF so I am looking to see if we should take a day out of the 5 we have to go outside of SF on a winery tour. We've also done beer tours.. so I am just looking to see if the Sonoma or Napa or both tours that some companies offer is different.

Edited: 14 May 2013, 21:59
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: California wineries how different from NY state?

The one time I toured Napa wineries, we saw the wine processes but not the interiors of the private homes. I actually preferred the small wineries in the Sierra foothills, such as in Amador County, and the big wineries of Monterey, Solvang, etc. but you'd need a car and they're further from SF. The wine in Napa and Sonoma will likely be at least somewhat different than what you experienced in NY. Will it be worthwhile to you? Up to you. I imagine people who have toured wineries in California might have some interest in seeing wineries in New York, Virginia, Washington, etc. Of course, an important factor is what you'd be giving up to use that day for a tour to Napa.

Of course you can also taste lots of wines without leaving SF budgettravel.com/blog/…

For brewery tours, here's one in San Francisco itself http://www.anchorbrewing.com/brewery/tours http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJmqYR07_7I Note you need to make reservations early.

Edited: 14 May 2013, 22:10
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: California wineries how different from NY state?

p.s. I included the brewery tour since Anchor Steam Beer is a rather unique beer.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,434 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: California wineries how different from NY state?

isla and carrie --- Didn't say I'd been to wineries in New York State and I don't think I've been to the Finger Lakes region (will have to look at a map), despite taking some backroads-type road trips through NY State, so I have no clue on New York wineries. Just met a bunch of potato farmers. Long story. ;=).

Isla was asking about the style of some of the wineries though. We have all kinds of scenery and all kinds of wineries -- style (mansions, smaller and more intimate), etc. I live 18 miles from the Napa Valley (and closer to other wineries) and you will find everything in the Napa/Sonoma Valleys, and that would include Dry Creek, Alexander Valley and all the little valleys comprising the big valleys. My personal favorite is the Shenandoah Valley outside of Sacramento (Plymouth -- small ) and the area of the foothills in the Gold Country near a little town called Murphys. Wineries of all kinds, sizes abound in our state.

For a wine tour, as a native, we prefer the various little valleys that make up the Sonoma Valley but that is just our taste as it's close to where we live and we like the little intimate places.

Hope you find what you're looking for over in the California forum. When I was taking classes 20-years ago at Napa Valley College, to work in a winery, the Napa Valley had about 350 wineries and the Sonoma Valley had about 250 wineries. Things are VERY robust and in flux in the wine industry here ---- changes by the day.