We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Redding?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
366 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Redding?

Planning a trip from Vancouver island to Santa Rosa, on to sf and return next month. On our way down we are spending our first night in Portland. We are undecided as to where we should spend the second. We would like to get most of the driving out of the way so we can get to Santa Rosa early in the day. Thinking of making that stop in redding? Is that a good choice? Other options better? Thanks!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,334 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Redding?

It depends on which route you're taking. Interstate-5 is the faster way but much less interesting than driving on Highway 101 in Oregon. I did the drive with friends from Lincoln City (started in Willamette Valley) and drove south on Hwy 101. It is a slower drive but prettier. There are several state parks with beautiful lookout points. My friends made a hotel reservation in Best Western Brookings, which was a terrific place. We could have driven further south.

If you were to leave Portland early, you could try and drive to Crescent City in California via Hwy 101. From Crescent City, you could stop at Redwoods National Park for a couple of hours. I highly recommend it. The trees are much more impressive than Yosemite or Muir Woods.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
366 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Redding?

Thanks! We are taking the I-5 down as we have some time restraints and need to get toe Sonoma County earlyish Saturday.

We plan on taking our time coming home, taking the 101 and perhaps even a bit of hwy 1.

Out of curiosity, how long (taking the 101) is it from Cresent City to Santa Rosa?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,334 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Redding?

Google Maps says its 5 hours from Crescent City to Santa Rosa. After you pass the town of Eureka, CA, Highway 101 turns inland. Redwood NP is north of Eureka.

South of Eureka, the other sights would include Mendocino, which would require you to drive west towards the coast and then back to Hwy 101. I haven't been to Mendocino in over 10 years, but I thought it was a neat town. Don't take Hwy 1 south to Santa Rosa if you are pressed for time.

As you get closer to Santa Rosa, Healdsburg is a great town with a beautiful square and wine tasting rooms. If you like pinot noir, there are some terrific wineries in the area.

Edited: 20 May 2013, 16:12
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
366 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Redding?

Thanks, yes, hwy 1 is for the way home (north) healdsberg is where we are staying. Cheers.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
661 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Redding?

Wow, to me that sounds like a lot of driving without much sightseeing. Is there any chance you can take time to visit some of the beautiful places you are passing? A lot of people love the Oregon coast, but that would be a slower drive. Along Hwy 5, you're somewhat close to Crater Lake and you'll be passing through Ashland. Just north of Redding is Mt. Shasta, Shasta Lake and Castle Crags state park. Lassen National Park is east of Redding.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
366 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Redding?

Just have to be fast on our way down (2 nights from Port Angeles to Santa Rosa area). We are taking our time coming back north, hence why I said we would take hwy 1 and the 101, with plenty of stops. Just wondering really where the best place to sleep would be that is around 4 hours from Santa Rosa. Thanks!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Redding?

You could do Portland to Santa Rosa in one day. Google says 10 hours, it's probably closer to 9 if you aren't a slowpoke. If you want to stop, just keep driving until you don't feel like driving anymore, and stop in the next decent sized town. I don't think one is any better than the next, Redding or Red Bluff will do.

Edited: 20 May 2013, 17:50
New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,334 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Redding?

Forgot about Crater Lake! It is on my list to see yet. If you could knock one or two sights along the way, it would help avoid doubling back to see it all when you return north to Vancouver.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
584 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Redding?

I think Redding is a good choice for a stop. Redding is a larger town than Red Bluff and has more lodging, as well as restaurants and shopping. The Redding area has around 100,000 people, making it one of the largest cities in Northern California north of Sacramento.

Hilltop Drive, which parallels I-5, has a lot of lodging.

South of Redding, it's just a flat, straight drive through the farmland of the Sacramento Valley.

Edited: 20 May 2013, 18:05
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
366 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Redding?

Thanks everyone. Not going to crater lake this trip. We will be spending any extra time we have on the way back along the coast. Ok, so Redding it is. We would like to arrive fresh to Santa Rosa so an extra stop is necessary. Wondering if we should try and get a little more driving under our belt the first night and stay in Salem as opposed to Portland though.

For the way back north we will be taking the 101 stopping once in a Northern California spot, then on to maybe Newport??? For 2 nights, I hear there is an aquarium our daughter would enjoy. And then maybe one more stop or maybe just get up to Port Angeles and back on the ferry home.