We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel recommendations near line N

Burbank, CA
Level Contributor
127 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel recommendations near line N

I will be going to UCSF for a 2-day course late next month and am looking for a hotel. Stanyan Park Hotel and the Carl Hotel seem to be the closest. However, I'm a light sleeper and these hotels may be noisier than I like (according to TA reviews, thin walls, right on the Muni line). I am willing to go farther to stay at a quieter hotel, but not as far as downtown to minimize commute time. Could someone recommend hotels (3 star or higher) that are less than 2,3 blocks from the line N metro stops, but not in downtown? Thanks very much!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,061 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel recommendations near line N

We are talking about 5-10 mins to walk to the Muni Stop and about a 20 -25 min ride to UCSF. If you want hotels with rooms that do not have noise related issues, you should look at the Union Square area I realize you don't want to stay downtown but there aren't many hotels all around the N line until you get downtown. you could look at Hayes valley/ behind the Opera house but again not many there and that will buy you 5 minutes

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel recommendations near line N

You won't find much. There aren't many hotels in the Cole Valley/Parnassus Heights area.

Inn at the Opera perhaps. It's at Civic Center (Fulton between Franklin and Gough) and you could catch Muni Metro at Van Ness and Market. However, the time differential between this and Union Square is rather negligible (5-10 minutes).

Since you're going in the reverse commute direction the cars won't be crowded and if you're looking for a 3+ star hotel, I'd just look at Union Square.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
6,047 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel recommendations near line N

Pick something near Union Square near Market Street. It's not going to add too much time to your commute. You'll be traveling against the commute in that direction in the morning - so time between stops is only about 3 minutes while underground.

Staying anywhere else will mean having to walk to get to the N-line - which I would argue could be negated by actually staying further downtown and not having to walk as far.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,705 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel recommendations near line N

The Carl is certainly right on the N Judah (passed by it hundreds if not thousands of times while commuting). The Stanyan Park isn't close enough to the N Judah line to get noise from it (but it might get some street/traffic noise from Stanyan).

I'll point out that the Stanyan is close enough you might just want to walk. According to Google maps it's just over a 1/2 mile (realizing *exactly* where on the campus you're going will have some impact). My guess is that by the time you walk to catch the N Judah, wait for the next one and then ride, it'll probably take about as long as walking. (Just checked, about 1/2 of the walk to UCSF is necessary just to get to an N Judah stop, so . . . .)

Also, so you are aware, you're looking at a fairly significant elevation change in general, but it's almost all at the UCSF end of the walk and can generally be avoided. If you enter the UCSF parking garage (at the N Judah stop where it shifts from Carl to Irving, essentially the Irving/Arguello corner) you can take an elevator from the lower levels to the upper levels of the parking structure which takes you "up the hill." I did this many times on my way home to visit a friend who was at the hospital for an extended period.

Beyond that I think you're either looking at hotels in the Outer Sunset near the beach (which I don't think do that well on TA) or something downtown; I can't think of anything else along the N Judah that's much closer than either of these. Either downtown or the Outer Sunset are likely to take you longer than the walk from the Stanyan. Of these two areas, I'd go with downtown as there you'll at least be closer to everything else (but might have more noise?).

Hope this helps,

hlo

Burbank, CA
Level Contributor
127 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel recommendations near line N

Thanks very much for your quick replies. I had not taken into consideration the walk time to the metro stop, which will offset any savings in time from staying closer to UCSF than in downtown. I will look for hotels closer to the civic center, then. Thanks again.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel recommendations near line N

Be careful about Civic Center area. I gave you the ONE I would consider -- Inn at the Opera. The Civic Center area along Market is not one I would recommend. And Civic Center to Union Square is two stops -- perhaps 4 minutes on the Metro.

(I'm curious .. as you live in SoCal ... how long is your commute? Union Square to Parnassus Heights can't be more than 30-40 minutes and you'll easily get a seat. In terms of SF commutes, that's a piece of cake.)

Burbank, CA
Level Contributor
127 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel recommendations near line N

At home, my commute is only 30 minutes on the freeway because I'm going against traffic. I really wanted to be right next to UCSF because I don't want to "commute" on a business trip. But, it sounds like it's more convenient to commute.Thanks again!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,061 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel recommendations near line N

well you can stay close by, get some ear plugs or a white noise generator. Just depends on your personal preference.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,705 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel recommendations near line N

Given everything that's been pointed out I think the ball is in your court. (You've gotten some good advice/observations.)

If I were you, I'd consider how much/what you'll want to do while not at your UCSF thing. If they're more "touristy" or general SF things then Union Square might be the way to go (agree you're probably looking at 1/2 hour +/- anti-rush hour commute from Union Square).

If being in the Haight/GG Park area before/after your day had more appeal, then I think the Stanyan Inn might be the way to go.

Oh yeah, do be aware there can be street noise issues in Union Square, but there are places where it won't be an issue.

hlo

Edited: 22 May 2013, 22:54
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
21,029 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel recommendations near line N

If it were me, I would just stay at the Stanyan Park to be closer to UCSF. Are you doing anything else here or just a quick in and out trip? Bring ear plugs. My husband travels with shooting ear muffs for hotel noise - extreme I know... but effective. I stayed right on Bourbon St in New Orleans for a conference last fall. The hotel provided ear plugs. : p

And I second the recommendation to walk to the parking garage on Arguello and take the elevator up. It is a steep hill.

Edited: 22 May 2013, 23:22