We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with geography, please

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
255 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Help with geography, please

We have only one full day in SF with the kids on the way to Hawaii. Staying at the Westin Market Street. We have a 1pm Alcatraz reservation followed by dinner at the Slanted Door at 6pm. We would like to have an early lunch-something easy for a family and not too expensive. My original plan was Chinatown for lunch but I am not at all familiar with the geography of the city and don't know if going to Chinatown will have us backtracking or going out of the way when our destination is Alcatraz.

Any advice or suggestions?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with geography, please

The Alcatraz folks would like you at the dock 1/2 hour before leaving. Trying to do Chinatown beforehand would be unwieldy IMO. Perhaps Pier 23 (how old are the kids?) or Butterfly. But that still means eating about 11:00-11:30AM.

I'd suggest having a big breakfast and then take some snacks for the ride over to Alcatraz. To be honest I can't see having a big lunch and then dinner at 6PM.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with geography, please

Nope you can walk to Chinatown from the Westin on market. If you cross Market and get onto Kearney, it is the start of chinatown a couple of blocks down so here is what you do pick a restaurant (the TQs have a list) and then go to maps.google.com and type in the start and end and you can get directions.

Have a look at R&G lounge or City View. It is about 10-15 mins to walk there from your hotel. You can then walk back to market and take the F wharves street car to Pier 33

If I had a day in SF with kids I would have done the Exploratorium over the Alcatraz but that is me Frankly I would skip Slanted door and spend the few hours in that museum and eat there when done.

Edited: 25 May 2013, 00:40
NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,265 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with geography, please

Since you will have kids how about In and Out Burger it is a chain but a CA chain and it's at the FW area and pretty decent for fast food. There is also Molinari Deli in the North Beach area.

We are doing the same thing one day in SF on our way to Maui then 3 full days on the way home.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,777 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with geography, please

Maybe North Beach area for pizza or Italian deli. Not far from Pier 33 where Alcatraz tours depart/arrive.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,846 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with geography, please

Chinatown is between your hotel and Pier 33. In-N-Out is out of the way, in the Fisherman's Wharf area, so I wouldn't suggest it, sorry. I too would opt for a nice brunch, pack a snack, and then enjoy dinner at 6. Otherwise I would drop the 6 PM reservation and eat at the Slanted Door (or somewhere else, no shortage of options around!) at 7 instead.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,429 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with geography, please

I also think that your Alcatraz timing makes lunch awkward. Unless you're eating breakfast really early, will you really be ready to go somewhere for lunch at 11 or 11:30? Like has been mentioned, the Alcatraz cruise people want you there by 12:30 and it will take you a little time to get there unless you eat very nearby.

You could go someplace in Chinatown for lunch and it is between your hotel and the pier for Alcatraz, but it would be a very early lunch.

I might pick up snacks, or sandwiches or similar easy to eat foods for lunch and just eat them without spending the time for such an early lunch in a sit down restaurant. There are quite a few parks, benches, piers and public spaces where you could eat snacks or a mini picnic. Levi plaza wouldn't be a terrible place and it isn't too far from pier 33, for example.

I don't know your plans for the morning before Alcatraz, but we can probably come up with some ideas for delis, bakeries or other places to pick up food near your activities for the morning.

7. Re: Help with geography, please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2014, 06:16