We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Couple Angel Island Questions

Smithfield, Virginia
Level Contributor
429 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
A Couple Angel Island Questions

I see food at the cafe on the island is overpriced and not so great. Anywhere in Union Square or by Pier 41 where we can grab a picnic lunch before we get on the ferry at 9:15?

Should we hike to the top of the island, do a tram tour or a segway tour?

Thanks for the help!

Dylan's Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours, Bike Tours
Streets of San Francisco Bike Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Bike Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Vantigo Tours
City Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Urban Trek USA
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, City Tours, Walking Tours
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
54,229 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Couple Angel Island Questions

There are so many deli around union square for you to grab and go. Most will be serving breakfast but any place would be fine.

As far as hike v.s segway tour ? Humm If you like hiking and want some exercise the view is great and the hike is rewarding. If you have not done the segaway ride before, that is an option

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,616 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Couple Angel Island Questions

Freddie's Sandwiches is just a few blocks form pier 41 at 300 Francisco @ Stockton

http://freddiessandwiches.net/

Smithfield, Virginia
Level Contributor
429 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Couple Angel Island Questions

I wonder does the segway tour go up to the top like a hike would? We will be doing this near the end of the trip..not sure how our feet will be feeling, but definitely want the best views!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
54,229 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Couple Angel Island Questions

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60713-d2083…

That is just one review but so many others. I personally have hiked but not done any tour. Here is the deal -- when you get to the island, you can see the city and they bay and so while it is nice to be at the highest point for a 360 view, the views are good in any of those motorized tours as far as I can tell because they passed us by.

Smithfield, Virginia
Level Contributor
429 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A Couple Angel Island Questions

Thanks for the help! I wish we didn't have to book the segway tour in advance and could decide day of, but for now I think we'll save the $136.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A Couple Angel Island Questions

God there are Segway tours on Angel Island?

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A Couple Angel Island Questions

The cafe is not terrible but it is a bit pricey. Shipping food out there requires a special boat trip after all. There is proper restaurant food as well, and I recommend sticking with that if you can. The food is actually reasonably priced for a national park area.

I have seen the Segway tours out there, and I would be very surprised if they go on any of the hiking trails to the top of the island. I'm also sure they miss the waterside area on the southwest side of the island.

The best way to see Angel Island is by bicycle. I recommend renting a bike instead of taking a tour; it's money well spent. Bicycles offer more flexibility than Segways and are cheaper too. Bikes aren't allowed on the trails to the very top of the island, but I've never felt like I'm missing out when I bike around the island.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,633 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A Couple Angel Island Questions

The segways will not go to peak as it is more of a dirt trail and I think the segways mostly go around the paved perimeter roads.

A picnic at the top is very nice and when I've done the hike to the top a lot of other people seemed to have the same idea of having a lunch up there.

I haven't done the segway tour around the island but I'm sure it could be fun. You may have time to hike to the peak and do the segway tour, but it could be a crunch for time before your return ferry. One visit, I tried to do the hike to the top (without stopping for lunch up there) and also hike the perimeter and I ended up jogging along the perimeter trail in order to get back to the ferry on time and didn't get to stop much, so it wasn't a great idea on my part.

I found the visitors center and the information about the immigrants very interesting, but we got lucky and had a very good guide on our tour and a small group of people (it was January or February). We ended up staying all day, but probably wouldn't have stayed that long otherwise.

Have a nice time on Angel Island, it's a fun experience.

Smithfield, Virginia
Level Contributor
429 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A Couple Angel Island Questions

Yeah I wish there was a little more time between the first and last ferries on weekdays. I hate to rush things, but I really want to see/learn as much as possible. The plan is to get to the island at 10:20 and get to the first tour at the immigration station at 11. I think that tour is just an hour? Then hike up Mt Livermore and maybe, if we make it back down in time, we can do the 2pm tram tour. Does that sound doable?

10. Re: A Couple Angel Island Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2014, 06:17