We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Fran IT. 28 years old. Couple from Florida

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
10 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
San Fran IT. 28 years old. Couple from Florida

Hey guys

My girlfriend and I are planning a trip to San Fran - October 6th thru 12th

We are both 28 and looking to stay in a nice hotel, nothing over the top, but in the $200 a night range

Walking distance to trendy bars, restaurants etc. what's the best hotel/area to stay in?

Sushu restUraunts suggestions?

We'd like to do a trip to Napa. How far is this from San Fran and where should we go? We plan on driving

Any other activities/ advice a couple from south Florida would enjoy? We like history/outdoors.

Also my last trip to San Fran was a nightmare with the parking situation. Suggestions as we plan on having a car for our entire vacation getaway

I look forward to a response !

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Fran IT. 28 years old. Couple from Florida

Are you driving or flying? If you are flying you do not need a car even if you want to go to Napa there are tours or you can rent a car for the day.

If you are driving or just have to have the car you could look at the Columbus Motor Inn which has free parking and is located between North Beach and Fisherman's Wharf we stayed there our last trip and will be staying there again next month we really liked it but we never rent a car so don't use the parking but it's a nice perk.

Also look at the motor inns along the Lombard corridor in the Marina area they are owned by the same people who own the CMI and also have free parking.

Chelsea Motor Inn

Coventry Motor Inn

Lombard Motor Inn

Edited: 30 May 2013, 03:24
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,250 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Fran IT. 28 years old. Couple from Florida

if your previous trip was a nightmare due to the car, then why have a car this time around. And sorry but can you tell us what a couple from South Florida would like. We don't live there so we won't know

How far is Napa ? Just about an hour. Have you looked at the Top Questions on the right side of this page and read about having a car in SF, staying with a car in SF, UNCMOM has some great suggestions if you insist of having a car again.

Sushi -- Ebisu, Ino Sushi are two place but plenty more all over town.

Hotel prices vary so do have a look at the TQs and look for hotels in your price range. If you need help with deciding from a shortlist, we can help

Trendy Bars are in the Mission, in the Fillmore, in the Marina and you can get there by MUNI or walk there depending on where you stay

Edited: 30 May 2013, 03:35
NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Fran IT. 28 years old. Couple from Florida

How about a visit to Muir Woods N.M. we took Tom's Tour and it was great only 8 people we got there before the big tour buses. This was a highlight of our last trip of course if you have a car you can drive there yourselves.

Also Fort Point N.H.S is located under the Golden Gate Bridge but only open fri-sun. You could also check out the Presidio which is an old army base but is very picturesque and good for walking.

Don't forget Alcatraz talk about history.

FYI locals don't like the term San Fran so either San Francisco or SF is ok.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: San Fran IT. 28 years old. Couple from Florida

Parking in the Marina (Union street bar area or Chestnut Street restaurants) is a major PITA. It is walking distance if you stay at one of the motels on Lombard, but those may not fall into your specification of "nice hotel".

Ft Point, GG Bridge, and Marin Headlands all have great history to them. There is a NIKE missile site in Marin Headlands that has been restored. Numerous cannon batteries and forts pepper the coast.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,491 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Fran IT. 28 years old. Couple from Florida

Agree re: (not having) the car, but if you have to have it, I do suggest you look at one of the free parking hotels (paying for parking will put a major dent in your hotel budget), while their locations are what I would call ideal, they aren't bad either. (Ditto re: quality.)

Just park when you arrive, maybe use it when you got to Napa, but otherwise use MUNI (look into a MUNI Passport and maybe a Citypass).

We should probably keep this OP in mind (and link to it or quote it?) when people start talking about *wanting* a (non-necessary) car during their SF stay?

hlo

Edited: 30 May 2013, 16:32
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,250 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Fran IT. 28 years old. Couple from Florida

HLO -- Agree about that. But perhaps the OP needs to read his own post and decide why he needs a car after the previous nightmare with car experience :-)

Smithfield, Virginia
Level Contributor
429 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Fran IT. 28 years old. Couple from Florida

If you are into history and outdoors, check out Angel Island (the Ellis Island of the West amongst other things)! Lots of history and hiking/bike riding on the island. I have not been yet, so I can't help with specifics, but I'm very excited to visit in a month!

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,873 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Fran IT. 28 years old. Couple from Florida

Napa is a bit over an hour away from SF, as is Sonoma. Both have good winery options. They're also the only time where you should bother with a car, assuming you don't plan on drinking and driving of course. (Take a tour otherwise!) Well, a car would also be handy if you want to go hiking in West Marin (Pt. Reyes, Marin Headlands, etc.). You should check out those hiking options since you say you like the outdoors.

There's a reason why you had a bad experience with your car the last time you were here: SF is not car friendly. Imagine staying in NYC with a car... (Also a bad idea, for the record.) Something to keep in mind is that having a car most likely relegates you to the motor inns off of Lombard Street if you want to stay under your $200 budget. Unfortunately the parking convenience comes at the expense of a truly nice *hotel* experience. The nice hotels are in or around Union Square for the most part; motor inns are often nothing more than nice motels.

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,255 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: San Fran IT. 28 years old. Couple from Florida

Based on our experience, I really like driving to the wine country! We stayed in Calistoga and had a great time taking a mud bath one afternoon followed by an amazing massage! Afterwards, we had a fabulous dinner at Tra Vigne. http://travignerestaurant.com/ Another day, we visited several wineries and really liked the castle at Castello di Amorosa. We were there while the grapes were being harvested. http://www.castellodiamorosa.com/

Truth be told - there are so many wineries in Sonoma, Napa, Calistoga, St. Helena, Alexander Valley Dry Creek, and the the Russian River that you can't reach most of them. We found excellent wine at small wineries more than at large wineries, with a few exceptions. Friends reminded us to be careful when driving, as many drivers visit wineries & often have tastes and don't realize how tipsy they've become. We decided to have one person drive while everyone else enjoyed wine tasting. There are people walking around these small towns plus cyclists on bikes - and sheriff patrols near by. So drivers should be careful while visiting wineries(!).

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
14,431 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: San Fran IT. 28 years old. Couple from Florida

>>Also my last trip to San Fran was a nightmare with the parking situation. Suggestions as we plan on having a car for our entire vacation getaway<<

Given this, please rethink having a car for the whole time -- our parking situation hasn't improved! Between the cost of the rental, gas and parking you'll save enough to be able to afford a really nice hotel (or a lot of taxis to get around).