We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quieter budget hotel with public transport access to sites

London, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Quieter budget hotel with public transport access to sites

I have been looking for a base camp hotel for my wife + 2 kids stay for a couple of nights whilst touring the city.Nothing fancy as we will be out most of the day.Free parking would be a bonus but not priority.We will have the car but plan not to use whilst there.

Unfortunately most of what we have found has been downtown , with reviews suggesting they are v noisy in terms of traffic/bars etc.

Please can anyone recommend a neighbourhood (or even better actual hotels) which isnt unduly noisy with good transport links to city sites ?

sf
Level Contributor
3,590 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Quieter budget hotel with public transport access to sites

1st off SF doesn't have many neighborhood motels or hotels, and you're right the Budget ones are around Union Square, and are generally in high traffic areas. The exemption might be Seal Rock Inn, but that is right off the Ocean and far from downtown.

2nd-If you don't plan on using the rental car why have it? You'll be paying for gas and parking unless staying with a motel that offers it free. Unless you're taking trips outside SF, a rental is more trouble than its worth. Take public transit.

If you're stuck on the car and budget, you might start looking for a hotel in one of the suburbs on the Peninsula.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
66,747 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quieter budget hotel with public transport access to sites

How about the budget hotel suggestions linked to the Top Questions on the right? There are 'with parking" and "without parking" articles.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,300 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quieter budget hotel with public transport access to sites

Look at the map in the top questions on hotels with free parking if you do want to keep your car. This is a city so you will have city noise no different from London based on my stays there You can stay on Nob Hill or ask for the rooms at the back in some hotels if noise is an issue

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,995 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quieter budget hotel with public transport access to sites

I'll point out that the Seal Rock (which I do suggest occasionally when I think it is appropriate) might not be good in this case based on the desired "quiet" attribute. This is because it is at the end of the 38 Geary bus route which runs 24 hours/day. The busses often park there (waiting to start their next run) with their motors running. Don't remember the layout 100% and there might be rooms whose placement means the parking aspect isn't an issue, but regardless you'll have buses going by 24 hours a day and I believe all the rooms have windows facing either Geary or 48th Ave.

For many of the downtown budget hotels (really for any location) often the specific placement/location of the room (facing busy street, overlooking a bar, or facing the rear of the building, higher versus lower floor, etc.) will have more of an impact on the nighttime noise level than the location (neighborhood) of the hotel itself; not to mention the question of whether there is late night/early morning trash or recycling pickup nearby, etc. Now obviously some *will* be noisy than others based on their location, street traffic, nearby businesses, etc, but overall I think you see more variability *within* a given hotel than you do from hotel to hotel (ignoring for the moment things like extra soundproofing, etc. that some hotels will have).

Thus, I'd say for many (most, all?) of the downtown budget hotels, I'd say it's possible (probable?) you can get a quiet room. The "problem" is whether you can do anything about it (i.e. request a quiet room at booking) and, more so, whether you get it when you actually check-in. I know I recently stayed at a budget hotel whose reviews often cited noise problems which I never experienced at all (had a room at the back).

That's my $,02,

hlo

Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quieter budget hotel with public transport access to sites

Quiet from column A, Budget from column B, free parking from Column C: I’m not sure that comes from a San Francisco Menu. However, what do SF TripAdvisors think of the Presidio Travelodge at Lombard and Lyon or the nearby Country Hearth Inn? They seem to have parking. Is it free or low cost?

Boris, these places are not on the most frequent transportation lines, but two bus lines, the 30 Stockton or 41 Union would get you downtown, and of course, you’d have your car. You can check prices online. I’d imagine they’d be pretty quiet locations by city standards.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quieter budget hotel with public transport access to sites

Ambient noise at the Presidio Travelodge is usually low but there is a bit of road construction going on along that block right now and if it's anything like what they did outside my house recently it starts at 8AM. There is also a bus line that runs past.

Of the three places we recommend frequently along Lombard: Coventry, Cow Hollow and Chelsea -- all have free parking and fairly good sized rooms. Just ask for a room in the back ... Lombard is a busy street which accesses the GG Bridge so there is traffic along it at all hours.

Another option in that area is the del Sol which is a block off Lombard and would be a bit quieter. Further, the building is "U" shaped and all the rooms face the interior courtyard.

7. Re: Quieter budget hotel with public transport access to sites

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2014, 05:16